high Temp adhesive for hearth wall tiles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
I’m building a hearth pad and putting wall tiles up. The substrate is drywall and I’m wondering if using decorative tile and high temp adhesive will work For the walls. I’m actually an inch further away than manufacturer specs for the wood stove I’m looking at, but I wonder about longevity. I even considered putting cement board up and then high temp adhesive for better bite compared to drywall. Is this asking for trouble or is this one for the redneck files? Lol.
thanks guys.

I’m building a hearth pad and putting wall tiles up. The substrate is drywall and I’m wondering if using decorative tile and high temp adhesive will work For the walls. I’m actually an inch further away than manufacturer specs for the wood stove I’m looking at, but I wonder about longevity. I even considered putting cement board up and then high temp adhesive for better bite compared to drywall. Is this asking for trouble or is this one for the redneck files? Lol.
thanks guys.
Use thinset to set your tiles. And yes I would put up cement board instead of just going over drywall. But that has nothing to do with heat just longevity

Use thinset to set your tiles. And yes I would put up cement board instead of just going over drywall. But that has nothing to do with heat just longevity
There’s three things I hate in life. Broccoli, drywall and tile work. Lol. I LOATHE tile work. I’m actually not bad at it, but I just hate it. So much in fact I’ll look for another avenue before getting out my wet saw and thin set. thanks for your reply.

There’s three things I hate in life. Broccoli, drywall and tile work. Lol. I LOATHE tile work. I’m actually not bad at it, but I just hate it. So much in fact I’ll look for another avenue before getting out my wet saw and thin set. thanks for your reply.
Then just leave it drywall what are you using for the hearth?

Reactions: tlhfirelion
My wife found a steel plate hearth she really liked. Hearth pad and walls were a thick, distressed, slightly rusted plate which I’m tossing around.

Attachments

• 11FAEE1D-5D16-4F53-800C-D227A38FE70B.jpeg
    11FAEE1D-5D16-4F53-800C-D227A38FE70B.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 124
I like the idea of doing a raised steel plate hearth with wood storage underneath. Just don’t know how thick of steel I’d need to hold a 400 lb stone and chimney.

Attachments

• BA79C5C0-9436-459B-A2C0-E30D31B8B7F8.jpeg
    BA79C5C0-9436-459B-A2C0-E30D31B8B7F8.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 119
Support it right and choose the right stove and you could do it with sheet metal.

The hearth doesn’t support the chimney. The ceiling support box or in some cases roof mount supports the chimney. The stove shouldn’t bear much weight from above. Possibly some of the black connector pipe.

Steel sheet, plate is very thick, supports a lot of weight if it is supported wellfrom below.

Would plate steel be what I’m looking for if the dark, slightly rusty, look is what I’m going for? Like in the pic I attached above on the walls. Thanks!

Would plate steel be what I’m looking for if the dark, slightly rusty, look is what I’m going for? Like in the pic I attached above on the walls. Thanks!

sheet steel is plenty thick to get a flat surface. Plate is just thick sheet. Imagine 1” thick wall decoration!
The rust patina is just a surface treatment. People spend big bucks to get that look.

another nice look is copper sheet.