High Winds In The North East Today, Time to Scavenge for Free Wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riegel

Mar 16, 2006
Riegelsville, Bucks Co. PA
Tree crews will be out in full force for the next few days. There will be hoards of free wood already cut to length laying along side the road for easy pick-up. Of course if it's on private property you always ask first but I can easily pick up a few cords after a day like today. How many of you do this?

I usually wait for the winds to end. Don't want to be under one of those widow makers when they fall. But then I am on the lookout.

Well of course being with the Forest Ranger Police I can never have enough wood. During the nasty October snow storm last year I picked up about 4 truck loads of free wood. If I was not so concerned about getting my front and backyard "put back together" I would have grabbed a lot more. Hell I don't even ask if I can take wood, if it is in the place where you put garbage bags, by the curb, and I see it, it's mine. Oh the Benefits of having a truck, my wife might not agree, but she loves a warm house. Should be all set for next year's burning, I have about 8 to 10 face cords, that is all I use on average. But, I am always on the lookout for free wood. Out here it is about 70 dollars a face cord, ouch!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.