Higher fixed charges for Solar in MN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
If you live in rural MN, something to consider if you are looking into solar and you are serviced by a co-op.

http://midwestenergynews.com/2016/0...ng-out-high-fixed-charge-for-solar-customers/

While I see their point that they have fewer customers per mile than they do in urban areas and a loss in incoming money will effect the co-op. By adding additional fees to solar customers will increase the time it takes for a person to break even. Environmentally this is a fail, since the price they charge is not what I would consider closely regulated, and they can and will continue to increase it until solar is no longer an option for the average consumer.

If you live in rural MN, something to consider if you are looking into solar and you are serviced by a co-op.

http://midwestenergynews.com/2016/0...ng-out-high-fixed-charge-for-solar-customers/

While I see their point that they have fewer customers per mile than they do in urban areas and a loss in incoming money will effect the co-op. By adding additional fees to solar customers will increase the time it takes for a person to break even. Environmentally this is a fail, since the price they charge is not what I would consider closely regulated, and they can and will continue to increase it until solar is no longer an option for the average consumer.

Yes, that's the idea to make it unaffordable...while the co-ops and other power companies install solar gardens to make it "affordable" for the masses. Its a wonder how the MN legislature passed the bill in the last minutes without debate and made it effective so soon also. I just barely got my system done before this went into effect. So no fees added to my system yet...I would fight them if they tried to add any to my system.

It does look like ALEC has been writing a few checks to stomp out solar like they have elsewhere.

This makes me :mad: it also makes me ;sick and ;em that these actions take place in the US and no one can stop them :(.

Organize and vote them out of office. Set term limits too.

This kind of stuff will happen until batteries become cheap enough that consumers tell the power company that their services are no longer needed and tell them where they can stick their fees.

Organize and vote them out of office. Set term limits too.

People have been saying that since the beginning of politics. When the people in charge create a system and continually modify it to prevent that exact situation from happening there's not much you can really do is there?

People in power have proven that they will do whatever it takes to keep themselves in power no matter how legal or borderline legal it is. Oh it's not legal? Well then they make it legal by pushing it thru like they did in that video! You can't combat what they did, hell not even other elected officials were able to stop it.

Those fees will ensure that I never get solar, and that's exactly the outcome that they want. Environment, economy, people be damned

Status
Not open for further replies.