highway robbery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1966

Hearth Supporter
Aug 24, 2008
south jersey
some ying yang on craigs list wants 375 a ton for pellets said they are not the junk that hd and lowes and tsc sell they are the best pellets around. i have bought pellets at both and had no problems sound like this goobler trying to make a buck becuase he thinks he is the person that has pellets or he is just plain crazy

dave1966 said:
.....sound like this goobler trying to make a buck becuase he thinks he is the person that has pellets or he is just plain crazy

I would tend to heavily favor the first reason....just trying to catch some people that are scared they won't find pellets, and will pay that ridiculous price. I saw someone up in my area doing the same thing on Craig's list. They wanted $385/ton (although it did include delivery).....trying to hit a home run.

some people are just plain scum bags but as i see it some day they will get theirs what goes around comes around. nothing wrong with trying to making a buck but just taking advantage of the situation is just not right

This climate of Americans screwing their fellow Americans is why our country's economy is in the tank. This is a prime example of that way of thinking.

Shouldn't you guys be angry with the Bank CEO's, Wall Street, and Politicians for allowing the fleecing of taxpayers and investors instead of some guy wanting $375/ton for pellets.

$700,000,000,000 vs. $375 ! No brainer here.

Besides if YOU are not buying at that price whats the big deal. Sounds like nobody got screwed.

I agree Less, but the post wasn't about what you describe. I'd like to hang the bastards out to dry and I'm sure everyone else would too. SO ! I have no use for any scum sucking parasite. This shows it is in all sectors and I think that is the point of the post.

I understand everyone's points here, but the bottom line, IMO, is that it's economics.....if nobody buys his pellets at that price, he'll be forced to lower it. If someone does, then I guess the market decided it was an OK price.

Do I think he's trying to hit a home run? Yes I do, but people decide how they spend money for their own reasons.

Perfect example is the current price of crude oil....when the market for the stuff started going down, so did the price...same thing will happen to pellets.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Shouldn't you guys be angry with the Bank CEO's, Wall Street, and Politicians for allowing the fleecing of taxpayers and investors instead of some guy wanting $375/ton for pellets.
While you're at it, why not be angry with everyone who owned mutual funds who invested in said banks & mortgages? How about every little old lady who bought AIG because they were a blue-chip with great dividends? When all is said and done, there are very few of us who did not profit from the run up to the "fleecing". If you have a low-interest mortgage, owned stock in any of the Fortune 500, owned Mutual Funds, or have your 401K invested in any broad market index fund you profited (before the correction) from all of the "bad" things those "other" people did.

A little sense of history is in order. Check out the Great Tulip Mania of the early 1600s. It shows that this behavior has been with us for an awful long time and is most likely going to be here again - more recently in the dot com bubble and now with sub-prime mortgage lending (and derivative investing). Although there is some evidence that the Tulip Mania wasn't strictly a speculative endeavor - there was substantial speculative investing that helped fuel the nonsense.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo

DiggerJim said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
While you're at it, why not be angry with everyone who owned mutual funds who invested in said banks & mortgages? How about every little old lady who bought AIG because they were a blue-chip with great dividends? When all is said and done, there are very few of us who did not profit from the run up to the "fleecing". If you have a low-interest mortgage, owned stock in any of the Fortune 500, owned Mutual Funds, or have your 401K invested in any broad market index fund you profited (before the correction) from all of the "bad" things those "other" people did.

A little sense of history is in order. Check out the Great Tulip Mania of the early 1600s. It shows that this behavior has been with us for an awful long time and is most likely going to be here again - more recently in the dot com bubble and now with sub-prime mortgage lending (and derivative investing). Although there is some evidence that the Tulip Mania wasn't strictly a speculative endeavor - there was substantial speculative investing that helped fuel the nonsense.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo

Well, Digger, ain't nobody gotta be mad at me, 'cause I ain't got a nickel in any of them. Except, I do have a few tulips that bloom in the spring around the house. But you're right, it's the greed factor that caused this whole mess, I grew up around a lot of old folks that went through the 20's and 30's, I've stayed away from the market and made do with what I had.

So....... there is no such thing as "price gouging"?? Jacking the price of gasoline while residents are fleeing a hurricane comes to mind. This is simply "supply and demand in the free market"?

And....... the is no such thing as fraud by the CEOs on Wall St.?? These were simply "bad investments" by the public????

The first year I had my stove I remember some people trying to
get $450 for a ton of pellets on CL and Ebay so this is
no surprise to me.

I think they figure if someone can drop 5K on a pellet stove, what's the problem with $75 additional (pellets are 300 elsewhere) for a better quality pellet?

Heck, I want to start a business selling pellets UPS. I could just claim they have larger heating capacity than they do (hey, everyone else does it!), and then take orders. My ten pound bags could heat an entire house for 2 hours or so. Surely worth $20 with freight.

I could take orders for Pet Rocks and fake Cell Phones and ship them along with the pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.