1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hillbilly Hauler

Post in 'The Gear' started by jeromehdmc, Dec 9, 2012.

1. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    If the tongue weight is ok, which it probably is because of the counter weight of the bikes on the back of the trailer, I think you will be fine. Maybe not enough tongue weight?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Its easier on gas with the weight on your back vs pulling the extra weight. jmo
  3. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    As someone already mentioned get or have made a receiver extension. Get the camper up into the bed as far as possible. not so much as whats behind as getting some weight back on the front axle. Easy enough to move the bikes fore or aft for tongue weight.
  4. jeromehdmc

jeromehdmc Member

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Putting the camper in the bed of the truck will not work with this trailer. I think the rails would hit if I went up a hill while turning.
    If I take the tailgate off there wouldn't be any support under the camper. As mentioned brakes would be good but no time to do it so I'm only taking one bike.
    The receiver extension would worry me more than towing without brakes. I've got time tomorrow to get the tongue weight figured out.
  5. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    So what will you be doing with the camper when you get there? Will it stay on the trailer?
  6. jeromehdmc

jeromehdmc Member

Loc:
    Kansas City
    The camper is staying on the trailer.
  7. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    OK.

I think as long as you tie everything down good you'll be good.

If the camper wasn't staying on the trailer, I'd likely have put it in the truck, and got another smaller trailer for the bike that would work with your hitch & tailgate situation (bit longer tow pole?).
  8. jeromehdmc

jeromehdmc Member

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Another small trailer with a longer tongue would be great but this is a short notice kind of trip and I'm making due with what I have.
  9. Craig in DE

Craig in DE New Member

Loc:
    Dover DE
    I had a friend do almost the same thing, but he slid the camper to the back over the axles and loaded the bikes on the front, under the overhang and forward of it. Worked real good for him for many years.

Craig
  10. oldogy

oldogy Member

Loc:
    SE TN
    Do not attempt without trailer brakes. It looks to me like you have way too much weight in back. If you have lights, brakes, load secure and good hitch you should be ok. Check that tongue weight. I've done a bit of towing and understand what is needed for a safe tow. What you show does not look safe to me.
    Many states have brake requirements for any tow over 1000 lbs.