Hinge pins on door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
is it normal for the hinge pins on my Austral door to keep shimmying up from opening and closing the door? When i first noticed it the top one was almost out so i tapped it back down and a week later im noticing they are coming back up again. Having a hot door come off the hinges when i open it is not something i want to have the pleasure of dealing with. I did find a tiny slotted washer on the ash lip awhile back and thought it was odd.
Since the stove is hot im not able to take it apart to see what im dealing with. Do those pins just sit in there by gravity? Retaining clips on them anywhere maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_20150228_102256.jpg
    IMG_20150228_102256.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20150228_102305.jpg
    IMG_20150228_102305.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20150228_102318.jpg
    IMG_20150228_102318.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 153
That is a push on clip that is supposed to retain the pin. Just flatten it back out with a hammer and use a socket with proper inside and outside diameter to tap it back on the bottom of the pin. Mine slid up and popped the clip also, but I put it back together and it seems to be staying put. Maybe some graphite or something to lube would help also with the friction.

Oh ya it's not that bad I did it hot just throw some gloves on and be careful, it's to dang cold to shutdown!!!!!

same thing with my dovre just keep an eye on it and tap it down

is it normal for the hinge pins on my Austral door to keep shimmying up from opening and closing the door? When i first noticed it the top one was almost out so i tapped it back down and a week later im noticing they are coming back up again. Having a hot door come off the hinges when i open it is not something i want to have the pleasure of dealing with. I did find a tiny slotted washer on the ash lip awhile back and thought it was odd.
Since the stove is hot im not able to take it apart to see what im dealing with. Do those pins just sit in there by gravity? Retaining clips on them anywhere maybe?
i don't have a austral but I had the same problem on my englander nc 30.i bought a can of grafite spray,coated the pins with it and I haven't had the problem again.

Is there no hole in the bottom of the hinge pin for a cotter pin? If there is then that is where the washer goes, on top of the cotter pin

Status
Not open for further replies.