Hinge side of door glass gets dirty every fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
KY
It gets dark about 3 inches in from hinge side and about half way up glass from bottom. Any ideas why this is happening? Any way to check if there is air washing down that side? It isn't totally black but it gets dark and is a pain to clean.

Thanks ,
Rob

Check your door gasket with the dollar bill test or hinge may need adjustment.

The tile above hinge on my homestead is discolored. I figure it is from opening the door over the past 2+ heating seasons and letting out too much smoke. Possible some air leaking from gasket? I'll check that out.

bcnu said:
The tile above hinge on my homestead is discolored. I figure it is from opening the door over the past 2+ heating seasons and letting out too much smoke. Possible some air leaking from gasket? I'll check that out.

I think if it's on the outside of the stove, on the stones, it's not the gasket, bad gaskets allow air in, and cause a cool spot, which if it's around the glass, will leave a residue from combustion gasses cooling to fast right there at that spot. But, I figure it never hurts to check your gaskets, I checked mine last Sunday and my flue, when it was warm outside and the stove was cold. This was after only a few weeks of burning. All was good.

Todd said:
Check your door gasket with the dollar bill test or hinge may need adjustment.

Yeah, I think Todd nailed it. Check your gasket with the dollar bill test. I'll bet you need a little adjustment. If the hinge is not adjustable (I don't know if yours is or not), it may be the gasket itself. It is not totally uncommon for a gasket to have to be replaced from time to time.

Dakotas Dad said:
bcnu said:

I think if it's on the outside of the stove, on the stones, it's not the gasket, bad gaskets allow air in, and cause a cool spot, which if it's around the glass, will leave a residue from combustion gasses cooling to fast right there at that spot. But, I figure it never hurts to check your gaskets, I checked mine last Sunday and my flue, when it was warm outside and the stove was cold. This was after only a few weeks of burning. All was good.
Yup. It is the coolest spot on the stove. It's down low and right where the air circulates between the inner and outer layer.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.