Hinges squeak ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bthomas70

Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2008
Northern Ohio
Any ideas on fixing hinge squeaks especially when the stove is hot. I tried oil it is just a temporary fix till it burns off. Graphite should work but the pin is a snug fit and not much room for the graphite to get in there.
Thanks for your help !

Brad

Graphite powder. If the pins can be tapped up a bit, do it...just don't pop either of them completely out! Squirt the powder in/around the pin, then cycle the door a few times to work the powder in. Repeat as necessary. Tap pins back down if you raised them. Rick

bthomas70 said:
Any ideas on fixing hinge squeaks especially when the stove is hot. I tried oil it is just a temporary fix till it burns off. Graphite should work but the pin is a snug fit and not much room for the graphite to get in there.
Thanks for your help !

Brad

NeverSeize should do the trick.. I use it on my air damper threads and they screw into the firebox...

Ray

After trying all the graphite's and oil to lube my sticky air control, I found P&B;dry lube at Home Depo. It work's a lots longer. A little messy because it sprays on wet and drys white in a few minutes. Also great to stop snow from sticking to the snow shovel.

My stove is a fired enamel finish. One pin of each door needs a small brass washer under it to pivot on. If there missing the door sounds like fingernails scratch-in a slate board.

Tom

xman23 said:
After trying all the graphite's and oil to lube my sticky air control, I found P&B;dry lube at Home Depo. It work's a lots longer. A little messy because it sprays on wet and drys white in a few minutes.
Just what I was thinking. The one I use is called Penephite, by Kano Labs in Nashville, TN. A solvent vehicle with graphite in suspension. I just recently did my hinges, but the dry powder did fine because I do have some small clearances to get the stuff into.

Status
Not open for further replies.