hired a tree service to drop some trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Like the title says,

have ALOT of white oak on my 1/4 acre lot. so much so that the house doesn't get any sun at all in the summer never mind the yard. I also plan on bringing in some fill to level off the back yard so its somewhat usable.

long story short, 5 white oaks, 1 TALL long needle pine, and 1 big maple. diameters range from 16-24 inches, 20+ dia. most of them. Started to cleanup the mess today and went through 2 tanks of gas in the saw and then I was to tired to do anymore. (did alot of snowmobiilin Saturday)

So 1200 bucks for 7 trees dropped, and alot of mess to clean up

Any idea how much wood ill get out of this?

Attachments

• IMG_20110115_074132.jpg
    IMG_20110115_074132.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_20110115_075500.jpg
    IMG_20110115_075500.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 1,005
WooDpSycho said:
Not $1200 worth ;)

Well the fire wood out of this is just an added benefit, the trees needed to go wood stove or not. 2 years ago before i had the stove i had a quote to have them cut and hauled away just didnt have the extra cash at the time.

Not sure how much wood you will get but you will be getting some great firewood! Best of all is that it is right there at home. Get it all cut and split as soon as possible and give the oak extra time to dry. In fact, you may have to give most all of that wood a bit longer to dry because you probably don't get a whole lot of wind there. So get it split and stacked as best you can for drying but don't count on burning too much until it's been sitting a couple of years if at all possible. Three years on the oak.

Well you defiantly have great wood to use. I understand about having to cut tree's down, I had my house built 5 years ago and we had to cut down 83 tree's sized from 6" diameter to 20" Just to get our house and driveway in. 99% were silver maples, I cringed every time we cut into those magnificent tree's as I'm sure you did.

I actually think you will get close to your $1200 with what some people are charging for nice oak these days.

Good luck!

If you hire a tree service that carries liability and workman's comp etc. Shows up with the appropriate equipment and works in a professional manner you certainly could pay $1200 for a days work.
I'm surprised that some on this forum would crack wise about other people endeavors.
I chose to edit a couple of my comments, regards Rob.

RobC said:
If you hire a tree service that carries liability and workman's comp etc. Shows up with the appropriate equipment and works in a professional manner you certainly could pay $1200 for a days work.
I'm surprised that some on this forum would crack wise about other people endeavors, Google stalk them and don't have the courtesy to include any of their own personal info. Like any one would care anyway.

I got $2,000,000 in liability and 25+ years experience! Is that enough?
That's an hours work from looking at the pics.
My meaning behind googling his location was that he's 500 miles from my place and I could travel that far and do the job and still make out.
Wasn't stalking the dude! WTF!!!????

Lee I wasn't trying to get in a fight. I just find that the two things that cease to amaze me on this forum is guy's opinions on tree removal and what's the best saw.
My opinion on tree removal. On the ground, safely and no damage.
My opinion on saws. One that's still cutting.
I'm sure you can relate to both. No offense intended.

frequentLEE said:
Next time you feel like dropping $1200 give me a call.
I just googled your location and I'm due for a paid vacation

Are u lissensed bonded insured give the guy a break.

frequentLEE said:
RobC said:
I'm surprised that some on this forum would crack wise about other people endeavors, Google stalk them and don't have the courtesy to include any of their own personal info. Like any one would care anyway.

I got $2,000,000 in liability and 25+ years experience! Is that enough?
That's an hours work from looking at the pics.
My meaning behind googling his location was that he's 500 miles from my place and I could travel that far and do the job and still make out.
Wasn't stalking the dude! WTF!!!????

And u have a Big Blue Ox, sorry thought u were picking on someone trying to do the safe thing.

cptoneleg said:
frequentLEE said:

OK,,,, eye'll drop 14 trees for the same price.

1200 is cheap for 7 trees.... especially if they are within striking distance of the house..... CHEAP!!! well worth it to prevent one from hitting the house.

frequentLEE said:
cptoneleg said:
frequentLEE said:

Great i have about 6 more in the front hanging over the driveway, power lines and withing 25 feet of my house and the neighbors house. now i know who to call when I am ready to get those taken down.

I don't feel I got ripped off at all, this was a very reputable company who got the work done very quickly and safely and was the cheapest of many quotes I had got. They had to climb most of the trees before they could drop them since they could not get any equipment in the back and there was no easy spots to drop them since they were withing striking distance to two houses and were surrounded by a full canopy up top.

ColdNH said:
frequentLEE said:
cptoneleg said:
frequentLEE said:

Great i have about 6 more in the front hanging over the driveway, power lines and withing 25 feet of my house and the neighbors house. now i know who to call when I am ready to get those taken down.

I don't feel I got ripped off at all, this was a very reputable company who got the work done very quickly and safely and was the cheapest of many quotes I had got. They had to climb most of the trees before they could drop them since they could not get any equipment in the back and there was no easy spots to drop them since they were withing striking distance to two houses and were surrounded by a full canopy up top.

Lookie there the way I figgur it u get 6 trees down, safe of cource ( lisensed bonded all that legal crap ) $85.72 a tree u keep the wood. Ain't these folks great .

ColdNH said:
frequentLEE said:
cptoneleg said:
frequentLEE said:

You feel good and I dohn't give a chit but from the pics thats a classic chop and drop that I charge $150/HR for. That looks like an hours work. There was no need for climbing if they even did. I see no evidence of it.
I do this work alot and thats a cake job. Sorry to burst your bubble.

frequentLEE said:
ColdNH said:
frequentLEE said:
cptoneleg said:
frequentLEE said:

You feel good and I dohn't give a chit but from the pics thats a classic chop and drop that I charge $150/HR for. That looks like an hours work. There was no need for climbing if they even did. I see no evidence of it.

U said 14 trees same price = 14 by $1,200.00 is $85.71

frequentLEE said:
thats a classic chop and drop that I charge $150/HR for.
How much is that in lasagna and beer? I have a couple of trees I need dropped. :lol:

In all seriousness, It's helpful for you guys to bounce around the price/cost to give me an idea of what I should expect to pay.

cptoneleg said:
frequentLEE said:
ColdNH said:
frequentLEE said:
cptoneleg said:
frequentLEE" date="1295242544 said:

U said 14 trees same price = 14 by $1,200.00 is $85.71
I guess the 1000 miles,hotels and meals are meaningless.
$150 is in my neighborhood.
Eye luv armchair tree surgeons!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
frequentLEE said:
thats a classic chop and drop that I charge $150/HR for.
How much is that in lasagna and beer? I have a couple of trees I need dropped. :lol:

In all seriousness, It's helpful for you guys to bounce around the price/cost to give me an idea of what I should expect to pay.

I'd trim ur trees free. :zip: Unless u turn back ito that chicken o hen o whatever %-P Just sitting up drinking a little whisky chatting>>>

I guess it's all variable as to where you are and who you hire. I've paid over $600 for trimming a few trees and taking down one 70 ft. palm weed, er, palm "tree." Here in so. calif., in an urban suburb of L.A., that was a good price. Quite a few years ago at that. There is no way I could find a qualified, licensed, insured company to take down 7 trees for $1,200 in these parts. No unless them trees we all about 15 ft. tall and clear of buildings. With climbers, etc. $1,200 might take down two trees. If I did all the clean up like the OP is doing, AND I got very lucky, maybe 3 trees.

Peace,
- Sequoia

ColdNH said:
Like the title says,

have ALOT of white oak on my 1/4 acre lot. so much so that the house doesn't get any sun at all in the summer never mind the yard. I also plan on bringing in some fill to level off the back yard so its somewhat usable.

long story short, 5 white oaks, 1 TALL long needle pine, and 1 big maple. diameters range from 16-24 inches, 20+ dia. most of them. Started to cleanup the mess today and went through 2 tanks of gas in the saw and then I was to tired to do anymore. (did alot of snowmobiilin Saturday)

So 1200 bucks for 7 trees dropped, and alot of mess to clean up

Any idea how much wood ill get out of this?

Anymore pic's that show more of a 360 view?

Nobody is answering the question of the OP, so here goes - 10 cords. It doesn't look like 10 cords in the pictures, but trees that size should be more than a cord apiece, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.