1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hit the lottery again

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by TimJ, Dec 15, 2012.

1. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Found a chit load of red elm again. Bone dry with no bark.......split open and solid petrified. I will burn this stuff year round. It gets the tempurature in the house to 72 degrees in no time flat and burns great. Maybe this is the first time I am seeing the rewards of seasoned dry wood. I am a believer. I got my hands on some more. I know I was suppose to take a week off, but it got the best of me.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    Nice score. I have burned some dead bark less American Elm rounds, 4-6" and they burn great. I load them up before work and have coals to reload when I get home from work 9 hrs. later.
    Backwoods Savage and Thistle like this.
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Nice! :cool:
    I'll grab that Red anytime. Great stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have too much more...a few more dead ones and that's it for a while.

I got some no-bark Reds earlier this year. Here's some that's in the on-deck circle right now. ==c
    [​IMG]
    Backwoods Savage and Thistle like this.
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice score
    Week Off? Glad it got the best of you LOL :)
    Burning dry wood is a treat ;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Great stuff indeed.Not much Red Elm left around me,a handful small-medium sized that are so far alive & healthy.Rarely see more than 1 or 2 dead ones a year now.Was harvesting lots of dead in early-late '80's,a few more again in mid 90's before the supply pretty much ended.A fair amount of American/White Elm left,most arent bigger than 14" max.however

Burned some softer dead Elm last weekend,hauled up from steep hillside last January.Not much weight,tough to split as expected,but put out a respectable amount of heat considering it was barely 30 degrees outside.First thought about leaving it on the ground,but now glad I didnt.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Woody, that living room is so inviting I can feel the warmth of the stove.

Thistle, I went hunting this morning for more slumping red elm and found more but in a difficult place. I'll probably talk myself into getting them.
    It will start rotting eventually if totally on the ground and smaller diameter. I split all the rounds and stacked it already. This tree was not as stringy. The stuff is so hard that you can split a bent smaller round and it will still split through the center. I like this stuff way better than maple........but that is just me.
  7. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    BTU is supposed to be better than soft Maple but not quite as good as Hard...seems about right.
  8. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    great score