Hitzer Ash Pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perky

Hearth Supporter
Aug 29, 2009
Northeast PA
Looking at a Hitzer 50-93 Coal Stove. I noticed the ash pan only has three sides. Isn't this messy? Doesn't it spill when carrying?
Thanks.

As you can see from the lack of respnses, this site really doesnt appreciate coal even though it is still the best bang for the buck unless you have a free wood supply. Anyhow yeah they went to a three sided "scoop" type ash pan. Personally I dont think it is really a good idea, but have heard a few who like it. You probably would want to go to the coal website/forums. www.nepacrossroads.com. everything you ever wanted to know about coal there.

Well dang it, I appreciate coal but have never been able to find the stuff for sale around here. Had a coal/wood stove for 21 years and was only able to find one five pound bag of coal in all that time.

BrotherBart said:
Well dang it, I appreciate coal but have never been able to find the stuff for sale around here. Had a coal/wood stove for 21 years and was only able to find one five pound bag of coal in all that time.

Really? Geez, we have 4 coal dealers in coal within 20 miles of Albany NY...

I, too, appreciate coal. I remember my dad burning a chunk or two of it in our open fireplace when I was a kid in the (gasp!) 1950's. In California, no less. I remember being fascinated by watching what looked like a rock burning. Dunno where he got it, although back then coal was pretty ubiquitous, as we still had steam locomotives running on some lines in those days, as well as things like steam pile drivers building the new interstate highway system (albeit they were quickly succumbing to the diesels). Not so since then. I've lived a lot of places during those intervening years, and I don't rightly recall anywhere (Idaho, New Mexico, Illinois, Rhode Island, Virginia) that coal was a readily available fuel source for the home consumer. But, I certainly appreciate coal. Rick

DAKSY said:
BrotherBart said:

Really? Geez, we have 4 coal dealers in coal within 20 miles of Albany NY...

One hundred miles south west of here I would be working in a coal mine if I wanted to make a living. But no coal available here.

Here in Colorado, there used to be a lumberyard near us that sold coal in bags. I know we have some powerplants in the state that burn it, traincar loads of it. However, I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in homeowner quantities. I've never been able really to afford buying it though, especially not with a lot of dead trees always available. Newspaper ad yesterday: Free, ten cords or more of wood in standing dead pine, you cut and haul, easy access for a truck or trailer.....

I did have someone give me a ten or fifteen pound box of coal once, many years ago, and I burned it. It was fun to have a big chunk go all night in the uninsulated mining cabin I was living in back then [where the water in the dog bowl might be frozen next a.m.]. But buying it isn't in my budget, even if I managed to find any for sale.

BrotherBart said:

Yeah, I kinda forget that it is somewhat of a availability thing for some of you folks. I always just assume that if your anywhere on the East Coast you would have access to it. Up here its quite plentiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.