Hmmmm... outside chimney connection question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Got up on the roof yesterday. I am NOT a roof person but needed to check out the status and found this:

connection.jpg

I had the installers come back after the initial install to add an additional 2' on the chimney. I am questioning the seal. What do I use to fill the gap as obviously whatever they used is failing.

Looks like a pretty big gap. That's why the flashing/storm collar thing is pretty nice. You could almost put a storm collar around it and silicone it, then just let the water drip on the flashing. What kind of roof, flashing, chimney is that? Maybe step back and take bigger pic. Or is that the crown on a masonry chimney?

Yea where is the storm collar? Did you remove it for the picture, I do not even have any sealant there, it is sealed on the storm collar.

Use google image search for stainless storm collar to see what you're missing.

Clean all that goop out of there. Then pack the gap with thick, stove rope gasket. You can then silicone the top of the gasket. Then, put on the correct size storm collar on the pipe to cover up this. Silicone the top edge of the storm collar where it contacts the pipe and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• storm collar.jpg
    storm collar.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 170
Well, not going up there today as it's raining. Here's a pic from the ground:

connection2.jpg

For some reason the pic makes it look crooked but it's not (cheap camera).

PS That is a clay tile chimney, lined with insulated SS with a flat piece of SS as a top block-off on top of the clay liner.

BeGreen said:
Clean all that goop out of there. Then pack the gap with thick, stove rope gasket. You can then silicone the top of the gasket. Then, put on the correct size storm collar on the pipe to cover up this. Silicone the top edge of the storm collar where it contacts the pipe and you should be good to go.

BG - Where the gap is located it is about 6-8" above the top block-off plate. So....... when I install the storm collar it will be 6-8" above the top block-off plate - kinda sitting in mid-air.

Even if you don't do over the goobery mess, a storm collar should be added as soon as you can.

BG - Will go out and get one today. Re: Silicone caulk - any kind? Does it have to be heat tolerant?

Any good quality silicone will do. The temp on the pipe surface is not that hot up there. I usually use GE Silicone II.

Status
Not open for further replies.