1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

hobo freight 22 ton

Post in 'The Gear' started by michaeltexas, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaeltexas

michaeltexas New Member

Loc:
    north texas
    just ordered the reconditioned unit from harbor freight. Its 22 ton with a briggs motor. Anybody use this one?
    Its on sale for 599.99

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. yukiginger

yukiginger Member

Best deal going in my opinion. I bought one two years ago. I recommend checking the lovejoys-spyder meshing, as mine developed problems there. I recommend replacing these yourself, as the spyder they used was undersized. I also had the wedge/slide plate fail on me, but a replacement is quite affordable from them.

Probably change the oil, check the hydraulic fluid level and then fire it up. I remember their freight shipping was also cheap at about $40! Can't beat it for the price, even if you decided to upgrade some parts relatively soon.

Have fun.

MarkG
  3. MuckSavage

MuckSavage Member

Loc:
    South Jersey
    That sounds like the unit I have. 8 hp B & S. I've had mine for 3 years and it's been terrific. When I bought mine, it was new (not reconditioned) and it was $749 and they accepted a 20% coupon. Yukiginger's right. Shipping was at $40.

I've ran mine trhu about 10 chords & it's proven to be a terrific unit. If it was stolen or something.....I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.
  4. ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep New Member

do you have a part number or something?

IM seeing it for $999 on the hobo website?

5. triptester

triptester Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S.E.Wisconsin
    The best deal is if you have a harbor freight store nearby all large items can be specail ordered for store pick up with free shipping.
  6. yukiginger

yukiginger Member

It is hard to find on their site.

Here's the link to it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55258

Another plus of this unit is that it comes fully assembled, unlike if you ordered a new one (don't know about store pickups).

Mine has split over 50 full cords in over 2 years, and yes, I had some problems, but nothing a little time and $60 in parts didn't solve.

MarkG
  7. ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep New Member

yes thanks!

I will call and see if I can one delivered to my local store, a couple of buddies and myself will split it, and share the work.

Its not really cost effective for us, but we enjoy the cutting, splitting, and beer drinking afterwards.

8. High_Iron

High_Iron Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    I noticed it said that this splitter was good for logs up to 8 inches in diameter. I would think this would be good for logs twice that. What do you guys think?
  9. kevin j

kevin j Minister of Fire

Loc:
    minnesota us
    8 inches diameter? Can do that with an axe... must be a lawyer thing.
    I have share in a 15 ton, and we do hard dead elm up to about 18 inches right down the middle. The occasional larger stuff, carve off the sides a couple times and it works fine.

You may have larger wood than we do. For my area, I would not be concerned about power, just look at speed.
  10. michaeltexas

michaeltexas New Member

Loc:
    north texas
    the stock number at hobo freight for the 22 ton i ordered for 599.99 is 55258-ovga
  11. michaeltexas

michaeltexas New Member

Loc:
    north texas
  12. High_Iron

High_Iron Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    I ordered this today. Fingers are crossed
  13. michaeltexas

michaeltexas New Member

Loc:
    north texas
    it takes awhile to get it. I ordered mine last thursday and its scheduled to be here this coming monday
  14. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I just ordered mine too! Fingers crossed. My local HF didn't have it but what they had was twice the price. The gal said to buy the 600$ one.

How did they deliver it? do they need a dock? No special accomodations were mentioned.
  15. michaeltexas

michaeltexas New Member

Loc:
    north texas
    they would deliver it to the house for the 60.00 but they said if i didnt have a way to off load it they would do it but charge and extra 40.00.
    I called yellow freight and i will have them hold it at the local terminal and im going to go pick it up and they will fork lift it into my trailer for no extra charge.
  16. Highbeam

Loc:
    Lovely. The splitter is just supposed to be "shipped". So if I happen to be home I could use my tractor but if not then maybe they'll just pitch it out the back of the truck? How did you folks find out when to expect shipment?
  17. michaeltexas

michaeltexas New Member

Loc:
    north texas
    you can call hobo freight and they will give you the tracking number and you can track it online. they used yellow freight for me
  18. Highbeam

Loc:
    Thank you! Im getting anxious.
  19. michaeltexas

michaeltexas New Member

Loc:
    north texas
    me to. I cant wait to get it . I hope to have it for the weekend but it aint gonna happen.
  20. High_Iron

High_Iron Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    I did my order online. I guess I should call them now to work out the details...
  21. michaeltexas

michaeltexas New Member

Loc:
    north texas
    yep if you call them they will give u the tracking number, be sure and let me know if you like yours
  22. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  23. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    Was yours the reconditioned unit? I noticed the Robin engine, if thats on the one for 599 I'll be ordering it ASAP..

Jason
  24. High_Iron

High_Iron Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    Negative, we get the 5.5 Briggs.
  25. jtb51b

jtb51b Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Birmingham AL
    Ahh ok. Just wondering if there was a bit of variation between the units. The 5.5 is a horizontal shaft engine No?

Jason
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.