Holding Coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackofalltrades

Hearth Supporter
Nov 5, 2010
North MS
I just have to brag a little bit on my Fireview please. Last Saturday night I put some wood in the heater and let the fire go out until last night(Wednesday). There was enough coals left in the ash that all I did was add some pine knot and kindling and it set in to burning again. All I saved was a match but it was just hard to imagine that it held live coals for that long. That makes me feel good everytime I think about.

Now that is impressive - my Manny is nowhere close! Cheers!

Yup, that's why you should always be careful with ashes when you dump them. They are excellent insulators, so they can hold hot coals for an unbelievably long time. Always fun to find them in the stove days later, though.

Yep, a good ash bed will keep coals a long while. That's how I turned my shop vac into a flame thrower doing the end of year cleaning a few years back. Thought 2 days w/ out a fire was enough. Lesson learned.

pen

Gosh, when I read the title to this tread I was wondering if gloves were to be worn when holding those coals!

Jack, you've found what many of us have found with the Fireview. Enjoy the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.