Hole in smoke shelf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlr

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
We had our chimney cleaned and the guy told us that there is a fist-sized hole in the smoke shelf. He said we needed to fill it with mortar, but it would be very difficult to do. Any suggestions on how to do it?

If this is a metal box fireplace like a heatform I suspect it shouldn't be used as a fireplace anymore. There are bound to be other thin areas. A temp repair could be possible, but I would only do that to put an insert in the fireplace.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what an open fireplace is. It's a brick fireplace, only open on one side, in our living room. Does that answer your question? Pardon my ignorance! Here is a picture...

image.jpg

Does the fireplace have clean metal sides inside the firebox, not brick interior sides?

I am guessing it is due to water coming in and resting on top of the smoke shelf and rusting out the smoke shelf. If the rest of the smoke shelf is not rusted I would weld a piece of plate steel over top of the hole if you are going to continue using this as a fireplace. Now getting in there to do this job is going to be tricky, you could cut out the bricks to get access to the smoke shelf from the back side then do the repair and then put the bricks back.

Or you could see this as a sign to install an Insert or Free Standing rear vented woodstove in front of the fireplace with a stainless steel liner going to the top.

Can you get a picture of the hole & the surrounding area of the firebox?

KaptJaq

OK, that is better news. I agree with mellow. Weld a good patch over the area or install an insert or freestanding stove in it.

Can you get a picture of the hole & the surrounding area of the firebox?

KaptJaq
He told us we could try to crook our arm through the damper and dump mortar in that way or run a PVC pipe from the top and funnel it in. I'm not sure how I could get a picture of the hole...

He told us we could try to crook our arm through the damper and dump mortar in that way or run a PVC pipe from the top and funnel it in. I'm not sure how I could get a picture of the hole...
The fireplace is not flush against an outside wall, it's set at an angle. So I don't think we could get to it from the back

Mellow, I thought the same thing after he left, I'm not sure how he knew it was there.

If he "saw" it you should be able to also. Did he drop a camera down the flue for a full inspection?

Can your damper be easily removed & do you have a wireless camera for your PC or a small digital camera? Hold any small digital camera above the damper frame, set it on "macro" (close) focus and slowly rotate it taking blind pictures of all the surfaces.

If you can't see the hole how are you going to know where it is to fix it?

KaptJaq

If he "saw" it you should be able to also. Did he drop a camera down the flue for a full inspection?

Can your damper be easily removed & do you have a wireless camera for your PC or a small digital camera? Hold any small digital camera above the damper frame, set it on "macro" (close) focus and slowly rotate it taking blind pictures of all the surfaces.

If you can't see the hole how are you going to know where it is to fix it?

KaptJaq
No, no quote. Our camera is broken, so I only have my ipad and phone currently. The phone doesn't have a flash, so I can't get a picture, thanks for the suggestion though. He just told us it was fist sized and on the left side, so I assumed we could find it by feeling it, then we could dump the mortar in. But I was hoping to find an easier way...

Thanks for all the help. We do have a cap, but have only lived here 1 1/2 years, so I don't know if its always been there. Again, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.