Hole in the wall - would this help with convection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Napoleon 1400 in the far end of a fully finished (and insulated) basement. The heat must travel across 20 ft (under the master, bath before it exits a doorway into a small hall (under the kitchen, dining) and then it goes up a stairwell, turns a corner and enters the kitchen/dining room.

I can get some heat up to this area and possibly down to the bedrooms (along the hall) if I use strategic fans (no blower investment yet). Wondering if a hole in the wall in the dining room (which will open into the stairwell) will help with convection and get some more of that heat upstairs. I have attached a rough diagram of our setup. What do you think?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 174
I think you need a nice woodstove upstairs :)

I gotta tell you, I am NOT a proponent of cutting holes in walls and/or floors to move heat around.

To answer your question, I think the vent you are considering would have negligible impact on heat transfer into your home.

That is a tough situation to try to get heat in the upstairs and a solution might be difficult to come by.

On the movement of air you state strategic placement of fans and I wonder what that means. Usually we find people trying to move the heat in the wrong manner, although in your situation I'm not sure what would be right. Normally to move the warm air it requires you to actually blow the cool air towards the warmer air rather than trying to blow the warm into the cool.

I put a 12"x10" register high on my staircase wall (just under the ceiling) to help air flow to the den. For me, it has worked very well. But my stove is in the same room as the staircase (LR), and the register is no more than 12' from the stove itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.