Hole size on protective cat shield on BK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Can someone tell me what size holes is on BK cat shield . Considering trying one on my Travis industries to save the cat from flame . Thank you

Bigger than 1/4 inch, less than 1/2. If i was really inder pressure id guess a hair under 3/8s.

More important, iirc iron is one of the cat poisons so you will also want to read up on metallurgy a little bit.

My combustor is active and probably will be until late march, not reaching in there with a micrometer anytime soon.

Bigger than 1/4 inch, less than 1/2. If i was really inder pressure id guess a hair under 3/8s.

More important, iirc iron is one of the cat poisons so you will also want to read up on metallurgy a little bit.

My combustor is active and probably will be until late march, not reaching in there with a micrometer anytime soon.
Iirc iron? What is it ? Google didn't show anything.

Can someone tell me what size holes is on BK cat shield . Considering trying one on my Travis industries to save the cat from flame . Thank you
About .375 inches in a Ashford 30. Total length of shield is 13.5 inches, height is 5.5 inches

iirc = if I recall correctly. So, just iron, if he recalls correctly. :D
Ok, today I've learned something new . English is not my first language. I'm from Belarus, we speak Russian there.

I'm confused . I thought all steel is combination of iron and carbon , is it

I'm confused . I thought all steel is combination of iron and carbon , is it

Yes, but if the stainless steel is not oxidizing, then the iron can't contaminate the catalyst, right? I suppose any high temperature, corrosion resistant SS would be fine. Because the entire stove is made from steel. The only difference I see with the flame shield is it's in the hottest part of the firebox.

iirc = if I recall correctly

BK is quite proud of that flame shield. Lots of thought went into it apparently. The metallurgy, the thickness, the hole size, the hole spacing, the number of holes, the tilt angle of the shield, the height of the shield compared to the cat and fire, the distance from face of cat to shield. Woodstock also spends a lot of time on this shield but isn't as successful.

The shield does more than stop flame impingement.

On the Lopi, well, not much you can hurt. I didn't realize that iron was a cat poison.

The shield does more than stop flame impingement.

It looks to me like it's more of a radiation shield (to prevent excessive radiation from damaging door seals) and also to reflect heat back onto the cat to help maintain an active cat at low burn rates. Whatever they did, it works better than the competitions designs.

But it is a simple, flat shape (with sides). I think the shape could be further optimized if they were willing to use a heavy press to create compound bends/curves to direct more heat towards the bottom corners of the glass to assist in burning off soot stains more evenly.

Could be wrong, might have disremebered, little free time this week.

Could be wrong, might have disremebered, little free time this week.
It's ok , I don't know anyway what is best in my situation . Good to have reference point