Holy Crap! It's HOT In My House!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firemark

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2010
NE Alabama
I am stunned!

Today, when I got home at 5 PM, I easily started a fire in my open fireplace. I had the damper almost wide open, and I reversed the ceiling fan in the room for winter. The only change I made from my previous burns was to leave the glass doors wide open the entire time

It is 24 F outside right now, and the radiant heat has raised the thermostat in the hall, which is 20' to 25' away to 68 F ! (It barely made it above freezing here today, too.)

I am stunned! All I did was leave the glass doors open, use the fan at med. speed, AND I have not had to keep piling on wood. I haven't used much at all, and it's 916 PM now.

This is about as warm as I want it to be, and the heat seems to have expanded further in the home as well. I can sit 5-6 ft from the fire, and have to move because of the radiant heat. It is literally HOT in the den where the old-fashioned OPEN fireplace is.

Maybe I can live with this old fireplace after all.

I'll say it again. I am STUNNED.

What exactly is this "fireplace" you speak of??

Rockey said:

It's my circa 1974 masonry open fireplace in a one-story 1500 sq. ft. ranch-type home. All I have is glass doors.

I think I have gotten the hang of using this old open fireplace.

firemark said:
Rockey said:

It's my circa 1974 masonry open fireplace in a one-story 1500 sq. ft. ranch-type home. All I have is glass doors.

I think I have gotten the hang of using this old open fireplace.

Yeah, kind of a rhetorical question, but I'm glad your haaving more success from your open fireplace than the vast majority. I remember burning firewood in our open fireplace before we stuck an insert in it. The radiant heat was great but I found it very difficult ot move heat throughout the house. Maybe you;ll have better success with a smaller footprint.

Me thinx ?

Status
Not open for further replies.