Holy Pellets!!! Glass 90% cleaner with pellet change....confused!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
I live outside Burlington Vermont. I got a ton of Vermont premium soft wood pellets primarily because 4 out of 5 people reccomended softwood pellets from the Vermont Pellet company. I was more than happy to support a local company just as I do with other Vermont products. They are my first pellets, the only problem being the glass turns black after only 2-3 hours. Turning the feed down to 2 (M55) and/or turning the combustion up to 4 or 5 did not help. Many folks have suggested I have the stove checked with a magnahelic gauge because the fuel air mixture is probably not correct. Yesterday I found a new Pellet store whose owner is familiar with Enviro stoves and my Vermont Pellets. After I told him my problem, he gave me two bags of "Ambiance" hardwood pellets by Valfei (Canadian) and said: burn these, if your glass turns black, I"ll check out you fuel/ air mixture....but I think you see a dramatically cleaner glass!!!!!!! SO......after 8 plus hours, I have a very thin, hard to see light brown sheen on my glass. I am very impressed with these pellets and I guess hardwood in general. However.....I have 40 bags left of my Vermont softwood pellets and I would still rather support my local companies. For whatever reason my stoves NOW runs fine.......Is it possible that a a fuel/air mixture change could produce the same results with a softwood pellet. Confused, Bill.......PS, also the top front edge of the sliding top plus the entire front of the stove seems much hotter than before.......so more confused!

Ambiance are mostly hardwood AFAIK. Hardwoods require less air than a softy. Still only proves you should have it checked with a mag to be absolutly sure its set proper IMHO. Or just burn the hardwoods and save the softies for me! ;-)

One thing you'll notice with the hardwoods is the residue they do leave on the glass will be stickier than the softies. Softwoods stuff just brushes right off.

This seems to be the opposite of what my stove does. With hardwoods the glass tends to get dirtier faster and with softwoods stays cleaner longer and is easier to clean. You should take the offer from your dealer and have him check the combustion chamber setting. I saw a significant improvement in my stove after mine was adjusted to the manufacturers recommendations.

bostonfan49 said:
I live outside Burlington Vermont. I got a ton of Vermont premium soft wood pellets primarily because 4 out of 5 people reccomended softwood pellets from the Vermont Pellet company. I was more than happy to support a local company just as I do with other Vermont products. They are my first pellets, the only problem being the glass turns black after only 2-3 hours. Turning the feed down to 2 (M55) and/or turning the combustion up to 4 or 5 did not help. Many folks have suggested I have the stove checked with a magnahelic gauge because the fuel air mixture is probably not correct. Yesterday I found a new Pellet store whose owner is familiar with Enviro stoves and my Vermont Pellets. After I told him my problem, he gave me two bags of "Ambiance" hardwood pellets by Valfei (Canadian) and said: burn these, if your glass turns black, I"ll check out you fuel/ air mixture....but I think you see a dramatically cleaner glass!!!!!!! SO......after 8 plus hours, I have a very thin, hard to see light brown sheen on my glass. I am very impressed with these pellets and I guess hardwood in general. However.....I have 40 bags left of my Vermont softwood pellets and I would still rather support my local companies. For whatever reason my stoves NOW runs fine.......Is it possible that a a fuel/air mixture change could produce the same results with a softwood pellet. Confused, Bill.......PS, also the top front edge of the sliding top plus the entire front of the stove seems much hotter than before.......so more confused!

Get your air flow issue fixed first then play with the fine adjustments. In other words put the meter to it.

My experience with hard wood from NWP is that I need more air, not less.

THANKS!!!! I plan on getting it checked this week. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.