Holy Wood in West Virginia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Just got back from a 5 week work trip to WV - Wetzel and Taylor Counties mostly. Couldn't believe the amount of downed wood EVERYWHERE on the roadside - just seemed to sit there week after week. Lots of white oak, red oak, hickory, etc., etc. - primo stuff. Anyone from the area know of a big winter/spring storm from that area that took down a lot of trees? Lots of woodburners in the area from the looks of wood piles, etc., so, was thinking everyone got their fill and the rest is just sitting. Could burn for years and years on what I saw lying around. If only my county looked like that in NH........

Good to be back on the forum - no good internet where I was and was wondering what everyone was up to - seems like more of the same - Zapny still insanely cutting wood........etc....

I drive through West Virginia at least twice a year and judging my the wood smoke I think many are waiting until September to start picking it up. Welcome back.

I've been working on moving / consolidating my wood piles. I got the small lot syndrom and had been stacking in a few spots. I moved what was left over from last season with the stuff I got the previous year, so now I got a stack 4 ft deep, 14 ft long, and 5 foot high. Now I should have enough room for two more cords for the following year.

NH_Wood said:
Just got back from a 5 week work trip to WV - Wetzel and Taylor Counties mostly. Couldn't believe the amount of downed wood EVERYWHERE on the roadside - just seemed to sit there week after week. Lots of white oak, red oak, hickory, etc., etc. - primo stuff. Anyone from the area know of a big winter/spring storm from that area that took down a lot of trees? Lots of woodburners in the area from the looks of wood piles, etc., so, was thinking everyone got their fill and the rest is just sitting. Could burn for years and years on what I saw lying around. If only my county looked like that in NH........

Good to be back on the forum - no good internet where I was and was wondering what everyone was up to - seems like more of the same - Zapny still insanely cutting wood........etc....

NH_Wood I've been enjoying the boat plus I did get down to the St.Lawrence River for some walleye fishing (pics up on Perfect Picture) so I was ready to start stacking again and we get this hot weather, it's supposed to be in the high 90's but I might try some stacking Monday night.

The wood this year and following will be much drier than the first, I still want to buck and split during the summer but not when it's 90 plus.

zap

zapny said:
NH_Wood said:

NH_Wood I've been enjoying the boat plus I did get down to the St.Lawrence River for some walleye fishing (pics up on Perfect Picture) so I was ready to start stacking again and we get this hot weather, it's supposed to be in the high 90's but I might try some stacking Monday night.

The wood this year and following will be much drier than the first, I still want to buck and split during the summer but not when it's 90 plus.

zap

I hear ya Zap, no wood work in these high temps - NH at low 90's this week - have a cord of log length to buck and split, but it can certainly wait for cooler temps! Sure wish I had your woods to play in......good luck with getting the rest up! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
zapny said:
NH_Wood said:

zap

I hear ya Zap, no wood work in these high temps - NH at low 90's this week - have a cord of log length to buck and split, but it can certainly wait for cooler temps! Sure wish I had your woods to play in......good luck with getting the rest up! Cheers!

What type of wood did you get in the log length? I remember when I was bucking and splitting the load of logs we bought in the winter wondering why I was doing it but with the weather this summer being so hot I'm glad I did.

Zap

zapny said:
NH_Wood said:
zapny said:
NH_Wood said:

zap

What type of wood did you get in the log length? I remember when I was bucking and splitting the load of logs we bought in the winter wondering why I was doing it but with the weather this summer being so hot I'm glad I did.

Zap

Zap - neighbor had about a cord of 8' length white ash and red maple that he wanted 'disposed of'! He loaded up his tractor and delivered down the hill to my processing area. But....turns out my Dad needs wood for this season, so I'll be delivering the wood to his house during the next week or so. I have 20 cord c/s/s on property now, so not concerned about wood at this point. I'm planning on burning nearly 100% ash this winter that was c/s/s back in late Jan/early Feb. I think I'll start cutting again in the fall -NH is having a heat wave now - humid and in the low 90's. Definitely as hot as it gets here! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:

They are either burning coal or have free gas from the natural gas wells on their property. I'm doing my best to clean up the downed trees over here in Tucker Co. WV

Status
Not open for further replies.