holz hausen (pics but be nice)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beavah

Jun 3, 2008
Lake Winni NH
Just finished building first HH. I saw Mo Heat's HH and decided to try it out. Far more fun than just stacking wood and watching it fall over. Anyway, does anybody know which way the air moves through the HH. Inside out or vice versa. The chimney affect sounds good but the outside of the HH will be heated first in the day time. So wouldn't that mean air would be pulled the top and out the sides? The reason I am asking is I am thinking about shrink wrapping the top three feet and pitching the top of the HH to try to improve draft at night time. Anyone with experience with HH stacks let me know. Thanks

pile not done yet in these pics stake in middle is a 10 ft pole

Attachments

• 100_1164.JPG
    100_1164.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 424
  • 100_1165.JPG
    100_1165.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 406
Welcome beavah I wouldn't recommend covering it until after Thanksgiving...mother nature with all her elements is your friend when it comes to seasoning wood.

beavah said:
...Far more fun than just stacking wood and watching it fall over...

Oh, c'mon...what's more fun than that? :lol: Rick

beavah said:
So water intrusion into the center should not cause a problem?

Well the HH's I've see posted here are pretty well covered up with wood...I never saw any significant holes in the center. But no, water will dry off and help weather check your wood...up until late fall when you have less sunlight and more wet weather....btw I take it your HH is off the ground...like on pallets or something?

There's a professional fireman on this forum that make HH's so grand they look like temples to the wood God. Me I just pile up my wood and it cures fine that way too...and I save a lot of time stacking. (You can get away with that out in the country.)

The HH is not off the ground but there are no such things as termites where I live. Except the ones from Mass. anyway . Do you know the guys name or where the pics are Trying to post the pics of mine now be easy on me

savageactor7 said:
...There's a professional fireman on this forum that make HH's so grand they look like temples to the wood God...

I've yet to see a better temple to the wood God than this one that was posted somewhere on here some time ago. Rick

Attachments

• firewood-art1.jpg
    firewood-art1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 460
Love to torch that tree at night. I thought I had too much time on my hands to build an HH . Still trying to figure out how to put my HH pics up I am from NH give me a break

fossil said:
savageactor7 said:
...There's a professional fireman on this forum that make HH's so grand they look like temples to the wood God...

I've yet to see a better temple to the wood God than this one that was posted somewhere on here some time ago. Rick

Oh that is truly a work of art...good heads up, I totally forgot about that.

Beavah I think the guys name was JFK...but I'm not 100% sure...but a search of holz hausen would bring the pics up.

beavah said:
I am from NH give me a break

No breaks, here, beavah...no matter where you're from. Just keep splitting, stacking and posting...and welcome!. (some great tips on attaching pics available in the "stickys" at the top of the Perfect Picture forum page...figger it out, we'd love to see 'em.) Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.