Home depot gas Splitters.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Well it looks like I'm going ti be biting the bullet and gettin a splitter. I plan on startin to sell some next year and I just won't be able to split it all between work and a new bay coming. But I'm just wondering what you guys think Bout the lows and home depot gas Splitters as far as quality and stuff.

Hello There,
I've got a Yard Machines 25-ton splitter from HD, and it works like a champ--though I'm not sure of the quality in the long-run as there are some people here having issues with the cylinder trunions splitting.

That being said, I've not heard any complaints about the 22-ton Huskee from TSC. SO, for $1K (they were selling for $899 here last week) you might want to look there.

S

Thank you. ive just looked at the huskee on tsc and all the reviews are awesome. i may take a ride today to look at it. there were about 40 reviews i i think read them all. but they all seem to speak highly of it. i was just a little concerned only being a 22 ton. buti guess it doesnt make to much of a difference? what would be some advantages of a 27 ton over a 22 ton ? speed?

Unless the stuff you scrounge is a lot better than the stuff I get, I would consider a simple dumb horizontal wedge on beam setup with a lot of steel in the frame. Steel is your friend when you are processing the big nasties.

As far as speed goes, you need to know the size of the pump and the size of the cylinder. A lot of times the 27 ton is a lot slower than the 20 ton as it uses the same pump and has a bigger cylinder.

ecocavalier, don't be misled with the tonage ratings. In practice you will notice very little difference in splitting ability or cycle time. Actually, cycle time is a non-issue totally. Splitting ability is what counts as well as being able to split vertically. My little 20 ton splits very good, even in knots. It is the two-stage pump that gives it the ability to go through the tough spots.

welli was curious to because the tree service i get some of the wood i get is quite large 4 to 5 feet in diameter sometimes. but i guess that doesnt really play a big role anyway cuz i have them quarted anway by the time there ready to split. i was just curious as y one would need such a large tonage splitter over say having a 22 ton? all in all i think the huskee is probably going to be what i end up with. everything i keep reading seems to be great.

Ecocavalier, it sounds like you might be making the same mistake that many do. Size doesn't mean all that much except they are harder to move. Those big chunks don't split harder than the little ones for the most part.

Imagine splitting smaller rounds; say 12" diameter. You can probably split them with one swing or two. When people get to the larger stuff it takes more swings so they think it is splitting harder. That does not have to be true. Count the swings to get the same amount of wood and you'll probably find it takes less with the big ones than with the small ones. Also, if splitting by hand, I've found people tend to hit the same spot over and over. That is not always the best way. If splitting a large log, I tend to hit the farthest point from me. The next swing will be closer. Then next closer, etc. It all comes together much better than hitting the same spot.

With hydraulics, it really doesn't matter at all because only one drop with the ram does it. Yes, you may have to turn the log around to split the other side, but then you have 2 pieces half that size to work with.

i was just confused as to why you would need a 35 ton over a 22 ton i guess. i guess if i was buying a splitter and new i was going to be splitting nothin but elm everyday with it then maybe. im almost positive ill be gettin the huskee 22 ton. seems like an over all good splitter and really decent price. thanks for your opinions. ill let ya know this week what i get and post some pictures. im getting excited. i do love splitting by hand but for what im going to be doing i wont be able to keep up so should be fun to see the pile of wood stack up fast!.

Ecocavalier, for what its worth, I too enjoyed splitting wood by hand but sometimes like hits you pretty hard. After an accident I was practically forced into buying a splitter. To be honest, I had doubts that I would like splitting wood with it. When I got the splitter home and assembled (got a break in price to buy in the box) it took maybe 2 minutes for me to smile and wonder why on God's Green Earth I waited so long to get that thing. I really do enjoy splitting with it.

You will learn a few tricks that will speed up your splitting if you need to save time. You will also learn it is easier on the body to split in vertical position.....as long as you find the right way to make your body comfortable. For me it was to sit low. That way I can place the elbows on the legs which allows me to turn the logs easier. Do whatever works for you. Good luck.

i am looking forward to it and was wondering the same thing like you said if im going to enjoy it as much as i do by hand. im sure i will! i think though that i will still have to split some by hand i need my workout.but i guess i can just get my workout now by cutting more wood ! which now i should have a lot more time ot be able to do it.

well i just purchased the huskee 22 ton splitter to only get it home and realize there was a cracked nut on the hydrolic line. so now i have to drive back roads again 1hour 15 min. to swap it out cuz you i cant drive on the highway. and the guy said the best he could do is give me 25 bucks off woo hoo. will see about that when i get back to the store. frustrating night. gonna end up costin me close to 45 bucks just in gas never mind the pain in the but of having to deal with this.

Let us know how you are treated...

well i made it back home and this one runs good. lol. lots of driving tonight. He ended up giving me 50 bucks back for the hassle. i let it go at that. Things happen out of control so no big deal im home now and happy. ill post some pics tomorrow of it spltting. looking forward to it.

"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten." For me, this applies to service as well.

S

thinkxingu said:
"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten." For me, this applies to service as well.
S
+1 thats what i told my wife. i said i dont care about the money as much as i do how they act and treat us. i just said as long as they make it right and at least do something for the hassle of what i had to do.

I can vouch for the Huskee 22 ton from tsc, I have put some nasty stuff through it and it has never stopped on me even with a big gum I recently cut. A little machine with a lot of balls IMHO

ecocavalier02 said:
Well it looks like I'm going ti be biting the bullet and gettin a splitter. I plan on startin to sell some next year and I just won't be able to split it all between work and a new bay coming. But I'm just wondering what you guys think Bout the lows and home depot gas Splitters as far as quality and stuff.

I'm shopping for a splitter too. I took one look at the Troybilt so-called 27-ton splitter at Lowes for $13xx. No way I would pay that much for that splitter.
When shopping for a splitter under $1500, then look hard at the Huskee 22-ton (made by Speeco). If you want a bit more splitter, look at the Iron and Oak 22-ton.
They are both full-beam, vertical/horizontal, and have quality hydraulics. The Iron and Oak is a commercial splitter than you will find at rental places. Heck, rent one to try!

They are doing the same thing to splitters as they did to pressure washers: Anything with a Honda engine attached to it and people assume quality.
There are two things wrong with that scenario: Honda makes different grades of small engines (GX and GC) and the hydraulics are the most important thing
on a splitter (pressure washer also...).

Status
Not open for further replies.