Home Depot switching to Stihl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
A couple weeks ago I was at one of my local Home Depots, and asked about the Makita rental saws. Was told that they do sell them, but didn't have any then. Yesterday I hit a different HD on the way home from work. Turned out they didn't have a rental center, but in looking for it I came across what seemed to be the store manager. He told me that HD is switching from Makita to Stihl for rentals in the next few months. So if you want one of those Makitas now might be the time. On the other hand, maybe in a year or so they will start having used Stihls for sale.

That would be great I have a Makita from HD and in a few years would be great to PU a nice Stihl for a big discount

I find that a little hard to beleave seeing HD sells Makita and I am sure they are getting great buys on these saws . But then stranger stuff has happened

I stopped in at the Home Depot in Thunder Bay to see if they had any used Makita chainsaws but they only had Echo in their rental centre. Not sure if it's a Canada/US thing.

I had heard that Stihl wasn't interested in the box store market. I wonder if that is the same for rentals. I can't see why HD would rent anything other than what they sell in the store. No sense advertising a competitors product.

Matt

Stihl, will not be sold at home depot. Husky has it written in their deal with HD.

Rumors and false statements are everywhere.

How's that Hopey Change working For You?

1. He didn't say they would be selling Stihl, just renting.
2. I put a question mark at the end of the title for a reason. I've told you what I heard, nothing more. But feel free to post any contrary documentation you are in possession of.
3. I don't know what that last statement is referring to.

DiscoInferno said:
1. He didn't say they would be selling Stihl, just renting.
2. I put a question mark at the end of the title for a reason. I've told you what I heard, nothing more. But feel free to post any contrary documentation you are in possession of.
3. I don't know what that last statement is referring to.

Back-up bro.
My post was not a flame on you.
Just a fact.

You being from SS md. My old stomping ground!
Best Wishes !
Frank

PS
SS has gone to the dogs!
Come over here to the Eastern Shore. And You will not be asked to press 1.or 2.

Does this mean I can get a used 362 for 150.00?

Up here in our parts, HD only sells Echo and Homelite. They don't even carry any Oregon products any more

The ones with a rental department rent Makita DCS 6401 saws, but they don't sell them new.

Monkey Wrench said:
SS has gone to the dogs!
Come over here to the Eastern Shore. And You will not be asked to press 1.or 2.

That would make my commute even longer! And who is asking me to press 1 or 2 on what?

LL~I get the feeling Makita's are only rented at US HD's. I've checked a few stores in Ontario and the rental dept's are all stocked with Echo.
Dang.

jeff_t said:
The ones with a rental department rent Makita DCS 6401 saws, but they don't sell them new.

The stores around here also rent the smaller Makita 14 or 16 " ( 5000 series I think). They don't sell these saws in the store just Echo and Homelite gas saws plus some electric ? models.

smokinjay said:
shoot, I'd be all over that stuff. I'd have one for every day of the week.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:

yep it would be like my pipe collection! lol

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:

Yes but It looks like I have the first 2 of the collectors series.
You can put me down for one

webie said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:

Yes but It looks like I have the first 2 of the collectors series.
You can put me down for one

I have some pipes worth more than my saws been thinking of selling a couple and getting a 660 for milling.

Status
Not open for further replies.