Home Heating Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itworks

Jul 23, 2008
Southwestern CT
Since I use my pellet stove 24/7 during the heating season, and rely on my oil burner only when we're away from home, I have about 100-150 gallons of oil in my tank that's about two years old. Over time does oil go bad? Is my oil OK? Is there any additive that I should use?

Thanks

The oil will not really degrade, but can get contaminated. There are many opinions on the subject, but you should plan on burning it up in the next couple years. Most would suggest putting a biocide it the tank to prevent the nasties from growing. There are also moisture dispersants available, similar to drygas for the inevitable moisture that will collect. A partially full tank will expand and contract with temperature changes and draw in moist air in the summer that condenses. I would also keep a spare filter and nozzle around in case the one on the burner clogs up.

My father had an oil burner in their summer home that was only used occasionally. His untreated oil tank lasted for over a decade and it was getting a little funky by the time it ran out. YMMV as always.

Chris

No. 2 home heating oil is the same fuel as Diesel fuel at the pump just not died red or taxed and minor low sulfur additives. Get a quart of Diesel fuel conditioner for two hundred gallons of fuel if it will sit over 6 months.

Napa sells a "dry gas" for diesel, thats a good idea. With the line of work Im in Im exposed to "specialty" trucks, which can get infrequent use. Diesel can grow an algae over time. Someone local to me had a truck that they always topped off at 3/4. One day they inadvertantly drew it down to near empty and gummed the fuel system up pretty good. Napa also sells Bio Con. For the quantity of fuel you're talking about I think your investment in additives will be somewhere around 5 bucks. Its good cheap insurance.

As mentioned already, I've put in a diesel fuel treatment. Hopefully water will not accumulate in the tank so a biocide won't be necessary, they're expensive. I've used 2 year old treated HHO in my car, off road of course, in the past with no problems. BTW, HHO is the same as diesel fuel from a couple of years ago, nowadays #2 diesel fuel is ULSD with a sulphur level max. of 15 ppm, HHO is 500 ppm.

Thanks for your advice on this subject. This is an incredibly informative bulletin board. The contributors should be praised for sharing their knowledge and experiences.

Thanks again,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.