1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Home made pellets ?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Robbie, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    Does anyone know exactly how these are made ? Could a person figure a way to make some "at home" using compressed saw dust ?

Robbie

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I think you just feed your pet rabbits saw dust. Wait 12 hrs. then squeeze out your pellets :)

I'm sorry. It's been a long week.....
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    I wil take a stab at this, it takes very hard dies and very high pressure to get a pellet to bind without binders added to the mix. I dont think this is a DIY process. Heck, they claim that the new quad design can burn pure sawdust, if thats the case you can skip the entire process!!
  4. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    %-P

Very funny !! Don't have rabbits, would mallard ducks work ?

MountainStoveGuy, thank you, I thought it might be something like that. I did not search it yet. I just got to thinking and wondered if anyone has tried to make any at home yet. I figured by now someone would have already tried to make something comparable.

Oh well, my mind is working in over drive tonight, I may have to try to figure something out........... :)

Hey, what about floating cat fish food (made from fish/oil) ? I buy it by the 50 pound bags, just about the right size.........except I don't have a pellet stove...........and the fish food cost about $10 a bag.

Robbie
  5. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Buy a new pellet stove and buy the bags of fish food @ $10. a bag and let us know how it works and if you save any money .
  6. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    LOL, I was just free wheelin tonight, you know, when your trying think of "other" ways to beat the cold.........cheap. :)

After doing a search, I figure there is not much I could contribute to this area............it seems to be doing very well without my ideas. :cheese:

Robbie
  7. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Here is an interesting link about this subject, shows lots of people are interested in this area obviously, notice readers comments below story.

http://www.matr.net/article-10472.html

Robbie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.