1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

home-made vacuum breaker

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Black Jaque Janaviac, May 30, 2013.

1. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ouisconsin
    I have an extra brass check valve laying around and I just put in a sand point well. I thought maybe I could fashion a vacuum breaker by drilling and tapping both sides to accept an air valve. The hardware store has those little schrader style valves that you see on your car tires but with 1/4" npt male thread.

With one of these one either side of the check valve I think this would allow air in should the water try back flowing, thus breaking the vacuum. This would be on the discharge side of the shallow well jet pump. Under normal circumstances the pipe between the check valve and the pump should be at system pressure, and the pipe after the check valve would lose pressure whenever the systemshut down. This is a lawn sprinkler system.

Am I missing something? Any reason this would not work?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    The theory seems good, but the spring on the schrader valve might not release before backflow occured. It's a fairly strong spring, with little surface area of the valve to operate it.
  3. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Why not buy a backflow preventer? Pretty sure the code requires one where ever you live.