Home Saver Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
I now have an attractive proposal for the installation of a Quad 4100 Insert in my existing masonry fireplace. The proposal calls for a "Home Saver Ultra Pro 316 T1-Alloy stainless steel continuous (flexible) liner" with a transferable lifetime guarantee. Not sure what one has to do to qualify the guarantee, but it must be capable of holding up for long time as "life time" isn't limited to that of the purchaser.

Any experience/comments on this brand liner?

Thanks,
Jerry

We have used other homesaver products and they have always been high quality.

I dont know anything about that liner!but it sure sounds like a winner.You are really doing your homework on getting the new stove insert and installation.Dont forget pics when you final the deal and get the stove installed.

Homesaver Pro is as highly regarded a flex liner as you will find. That is all our local stove shop will sell.

Thanks all, sounds like a good (best) liner, and that's good enough for me :coolsmile:

I will agree that HomeSaver liners are among the best. We have used them for years and are very happy with the results. However, I would like to point out that the naming convention used by HomeSaver is confusing and can be misleading. The liner you mentioned, the "Ultra Pro", is actually their lightest weight pipe and is the thinnest metal when compared to all their other liners. We do not recommend the ULTRA Pro unless the budget is very tight and the homeowner understands and is willing to accept the increased risks associated with the lightweight liners. HomeSaver's UltraPro lightweight is perhaps the best lightweight standard-duty liner you can purchase but it is still the lightest weight and thinnest gage metal.

In terms of toughness and longevity the HomeSaver lines are as follows

HomeSaver RoundFlex 304 or RoundFlex 316 - Heavy duty, Toughest, Longest lasting
HomeSaver Pro 316ti - Lightweight, Strong Duty (Good compromise between heavy weight and light weight)
HomeSaver Ultra Pro 316ti - Lightweight, Standard duty (subject to accidental damage, competes on price with cheaper brands)

The lifetime warranty requires you to clean your liner regularly and keep good records. They specify using a professional chimney sweep but you can do it yourself as long as you document it and don't use the wrong tools.

Sean

Sean,

Thanks for the details and help on DIY types. I figure one of the benefits of putting in a continuous round liner is that I can clean it from the stove end, so why not? I will not go to the top of my steep second story roof to do a cleaning (albeit the chimney service I've used cleaned the tile flue from below, and did a trip to the roof only to inspect the liner), nor try any heavy work at the very tip-top of my 32 foot extension ladder, not sure that is tall enough, never tried, I do paint the trim up to where it meets the chimney, that's at least 6' below the top of the chimney.

I should have guessed, the more impressive the title, the less the quality, i.e., competing/marketing, not selling facts. So, it is the Ultra-Pro is the bottom of a good line, I'll go with it. If it has to be redone in 10 years so what, I may not last that long myself, at least not in this home and is acreage that needs a good bit of upkeep/attention. As for safety, it is a liner in a fully functional masonry chimney with code-level tile liner. What can go wrong with a line, burn a hole? This should not be a fire hazard problem given its location. This does raise a question, I expect the have a piece of liner left over in the 5' length range. This is to be sure we have a sufficient length for the installer, absent him making an "extra" trip to measure. My chimney service has called the chimney 31", we are ordering 35" of liner. I was considering keeping the 5' extra as an upgrade for my basement stove's connection to the tile liner. It uses a 6" black pipe (real thin too, and not stainless). Maybe the Ultra Pro isn't up to that type of use.

Yes, I would agree. If you must go with a lighweight liner the HomeSaver UltraPro is probably the best of the bottom end liners.

Liners in this category are more susceptible to accidental damage while installing, or while cleaning. Animals like squirrels have been known to cause havoc. You can easily cut these liners with your tin snips or puncture a hole with your screw driver. As long as everyone is careful during handling and installation, once it gets installed there is not much that can happen to it physically until you go to clean it. Be sure to use the right tools. This stuff is not so weak that it can easily be damaged by a brush or pole but it not as strong as to be unable to accidentally puncture a hole when too much force is used.

The advantage to a lightweight liner in a tall chimney is that it is easier to lift and install due to it's lighter weight. I wouldn't want to install a 35' heavy duty RoundFlex 304 liner, especially off a ladder. But I would usually suggest the use of the HomeSaver Pro series in these cases. It is tougher, while being lighter. Not as light as the HomeSaver Ultra Pro but light enough to make the job easier and strong enough to resist accidental damage.

I don't think I would attempt to use the SS flexible liner as connector pipe. It will be much harder to handle and service. Plus, it will look weird. But, to each their own.

Good luck,
Sean

Personal user of Homesaver ultra-pro here for now going on 6 years. Nothing but good things to say about the liner even when installing it myself. Just make sure to use a poly brush on the liner if you brush it yourself. Also see if they can supply a cap without a bird screen if at all possible. My homesaver guardian cap is a nightmare for plugging up the screen when it's really cold out.

Thanks, the order has not yet been placed and I can discuss the cost benefit with the hearth shop and installer (assuming i can get him to return my telephone call).
I recall looking at the Homesaver web site and seeing the marketing point about having the installer stand on the liner, obviously not the ultra-pro. The Homesaver in the web demo was able to hold a 200+ pound installer without collapsing.

I'll also check on the planned cap. TMonter, how's the Quad 3100-I working out? That was on my plan until my wife saw the 4100-I, that's now the insert we're discussing installing. I don't have a clue how the cap can plug up...I'd assume we always want to have a screen to prevent entry by small animals and birds.

Thanks,

Here are some of the liner related parts, all Homesaver I assume, but don' t knowl

21058 connector adaptor
34265 collor plate 6" to 13x13
10460 cap
17638 6" x 35' liner the Ultra pro
17026 Insulation kit 35'

I am looking to install a liner for a wood boiler.Has anyone used the Forever Flex .006 thick liner?Any input would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.