homemade baseboard fins?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodNotOil

Minister of Fire
Anyone done it before? I have several feet of pipe connecting my baseboards to one another and would like to add fins to them. In some of my rooms this would give me as much as 8'+ more baseboard. The purpose being that I want to be able to heat with a slightly lower temp from storage in my upstairs baseboard zone. I have not been successful in finding a product on the market to do this. Instead of cutting the pipes out and buying more baseboard I thought maybe I could fasion some fins using thin flashing material.

My thought was to fold say 12" flashing in half lengthwise and form it around the copper pipe so that the pipe was centered between the two pieces. This would give me two flat surfaces of just over 2" sticking out on either side of the pipe. The two halves could be fastened together with small sheet metal screws. Position the whole thing at roughly a 45* angle, perhaps even drill small holes all over it for air to pass through. Would this work? Not enough surface area to be worth it? Other suggestions? Just thinking out loud. . .

Seems like a lot of work per square inch, but I expect that it would work on a roughly proportional basis compared to the square inches in regular baseboard. Just want to get solid metal-to-metal contact between the flashing and the pipe.

I believe you can buy the fins that are used in baseboards and slide them on yourself.

Baseboard seems to use extra thin wall copper pipe compared to regular copper pipe. Slide on fins might not work but worth a try. Slide a couple off from a baseboard unit and see if they fit on regular copper pipe.

How about those radiant heat plates made by ultra fin. I pretty sure they would fit inside the baseboard enclousure, strap them to the pipe and mount at a 45. Might be worth a try..

Status
Not open for further replies.