Homemade blowers for ZC fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

86turbodsl

Hearth Supporter
Mar 25, 2008
Michigan
Anyone come up with innovative ways of adding blowers to your ZC fireplace?

My BIS ultima is putting out a bit more heat with a fan blowing at the bottom grate.
It's not going to be easy to add a factory blower due to my install, is there anything
that folks have come up with to add on easy? Something fitting behind the bottom grate maybe?

I had a ZC fireplace that I added a Quadra 4100I a couple weeks ago. Before finally adding the insert we had a blower/grate thing that was made of 5 tubes that laid flat across the bottom that you burnt on, then the tubes bent up the back and then back out the front of the fireplace, infront of the tubes at bottom infront of the fire was a manifold that a blower blew air to be heated by fire then back out into room. I think we paid close to $400 for the grate. It worked ok if you only wanted to heat the room the fireplace is in but definatly would not heat an entire house, and you could not regulate the fire because you needed to keep the doors open all the time and if you did not have enough draft it would blow smoke into the house.

Why does your install preclude the standard blower? It just sits at the back of the unit behind the bottom louvers, held up with magnets or velcro I think. I bought my blower elsewhere, and it just sits back there not really attached to anything. It's a bit of a pain to maneuver it back there, but there's no other way I know to do it. If you don't have power run into the shell you can just bring the cord out the louvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.