Homemade cyclone/ash removal system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canyon

Nov 25, 2007
Homer, Alaska
Does anyone have any experience with using a cyclone for ash removal? I would like to build one to remove ash instream after my refractory and before my tube shell heat exchanger. Thanks in advance!

Lasse

Thanks all! That wood dust cyclone guy sure did get into this subject (albeit for wood not ash). I will post info on what I do and how it works (it might take me a while to build this)

Good luck, Lasse, and keep us informed if you get the chance.

What kind of boiler do you have?

As a note there is a boiler company near me that is doing some testing with a cyclone on the exhaust of a Jetstream. One of the problems the Jetstream has is the high velocities in the main fuel chamber carrying ash out the stack. The other problem is the not so hot draft inducing method used. I've always thought a water cooled cyclone with a fan could replace the induced draft and squeeze a few more efficiency % out of it. The low temp water could be used for a heated floor or some other purpose.

My boiler is a homemade work in progress. It is based on the rocket fire ideas in Ianto Evans/Leslie Jackson 's Rocket Mass Heaters book. I am firing my test rocket now and heating a small kitchen and bathroom with the hot water. I have an additional tube shell heat exchanger almost done for my domestic hot water and will add a thermal mass battery masonry bench/couch (next summer) to be able to charge up as well. This is a natural draft system under positive pressure from the rocket stove. I'm interested in the cyclone to make the ash collection easier and keep it from clogging the works. Stay turned...
Thanks Again,
Lasse

Status
Not open for further replies.