1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Homeowner's Insurance and Pellet Stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by kt1i, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kt1i

kt1i Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    I'm wondering what the insurer's reaction is to a pellet stove installation. Will (or did) they raise rates?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pelletwood

pelletwood Member

Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    My insurance company raised my yearly rate by $50.00
    But considering I am going to save over $1000.00 with pellets, I think it was worth letting them know.
  3. modemgirl

modemgirl New Member

Loc:
    Southern MA
    My insurance company just required a form to be filled out, but no increase in rates.
  4. wi-dogfish

wi-dogfish New Member

Loc:
    WI
    American Family didn't seem to care. I've had good luck with them, but I haven't had any major claims.
  5. terryjd98

terryjd98 Member

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    When I called my insurance company they said rates would raise $200.00 a year and I have never had any claims in the last 10 years. Thinking about looking around at different insurance companies and getting some quotes.
  6. pete324rocket

pete324rocket Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    albert county, new brunswick
    [quote author="terryjd98" date="1216277959"]When I called my insurance company they said rates would raise $200.00 a year and I have never had any claims in the last 10 years. Thinking about looking around at different insurance companies and getting some quotes

Good idea...they are ******** you....in my opinion.
  7. Pfeiff99

Pfeiff99 New Member

Loc:
    North Central MA
    Did you all wait till the stove was installed? I have Liberty Mutual, and they are a bit 'uptight' shall we say. I think it's best if we get it installed and inspected before we alert them...then I'm thinking we'll probably end up looking for a new carrier as well.
  8. BubbRubb

BubbRubb New Member

Loc:
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have Erie Insurance and they didn't seem to care. They said as long as it wasn't a wood stove they would not increase my premium. They did ask if it was professionally installed (it was), so that may have gotten me out of filling out some paperwork.
  9. kt1i

kt1i Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    I just checked with my ins. agent. My company Safety Ins. just requires a copy of the building (stove) permit on file, no extra charge! :)
  10. valentine92

valentine92 Member

Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I called my insurance co and they said as long as I get a permit and have it inspected by the city then they dont have a problem with it. My rate will not be increasing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.