Homestar.... Is it dead?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTburning

Nov 9, 2008
Western CT
Early last year I heard about a program called "cash for caulkers" or Homestar that was passed in House and was sitting in the Senate. I took advantage of the $1500 credit when I purchased my stove and have been eagerly awaiting an incentive to insulate the heck out of my attic. I have somewhere between 3-6" of 35 year old insulation up there and a lot of room for improvement. Has anyone heard anything? Is it dead?

There is an insulation tax credit same as stove and windows and doors. 30% of cost of materials, no labor, up to $1,500.

Someone correct me, but I think insulation may have to be professionally installed to be claimed.

To clarify, I am aware of the tax credit for up to $1500 on biomass stoves, insulation and windows. I took advantage of that already and have maxed it out. Homestar or the cash for Caulkers is a second program designed to get people working again. It passed the House last spring and was stalled in the Senate. It was designed to get men working as you would have to pay someone to do an energy audit and get credit based on the improvements that you made. From what I remember it was like 1500 credit of the first $3000 and then your credit was based on the percentage of energy reduction or something like that. I have to assume the program is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.