Homestead out... Mansfield going in.. New Pics added..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakotas Dad

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Well, we were thinking of doing this in the next couple years, and then one popped up on Craig's list and I was able to get it for a good price.... picked it up and brought it home Tuesday, had 3 friends over and put it on the hearth.. Going to fabricate a 5" offset box to get it where I want it on the hearth. Counting the 4" collar on top the stove, it's effectively almost 7" taller than the Homestead. And yes I know my surround and mantel are missing, took them down to paint... :)

Attachments

• phpO7CMjsAM.jpg
    phpO7CMjsAM.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 563
Sweet!!! I have always thought the Mansfield and the Equinox were awesome looking stoves. Congrats on the CL find.

Yep, I'd say the Equinox and Mansfield are just about the best looking stoves out there. Nice score, let us know how it performs.

Good move. Lots of nice character on that stone. That 12" tile tells me that you are short on front clearance though.

I may be looking to sell my heritage. How much did you pay for the manny? how old is it?

Highbeam said:
Good move. Lots of nice character on that stone. That 12" tile tells me that you are short on front clearance though...

Looks more like 16" tiles. The Manny is 29 inches deep,
so I'd say he's still got room to make some adjustment
backwards...

You Lucky dog!!!

The Mansfield is one tile deeper than the Heritage. You are 3 deep. I only have 2 deep. That accounts for the 25,000 more BTU rating. The equinox appears to be an entirely different animal.

Highbeam said:
Good move. Lots of nice character on that stone. That 12" tile tells me that you are short on front clearance though.

I may be looking to sell my heritage. How much did you pay for the manny? how old is it?

Once installed I will be 16" from the glass to the front of the hearth. (That is the purpose of the custom offset box being built as I type) :)

Stove was used 1 season by the owners. It is perfect in every way. They had apparently fought a Tractor Supply special for several years, then bought this one after a friend showed them his Homestead. Once feeding and caring for the stove/heat suddenly became a non-issue, the possibility's opened up to them.. They decided this stove didn't meet their needs as currently defined..So they ordered a full on Flame View wood cook stove. It was delivered the day before I picked the Mansfield up. It's beautiful..

As far as cost.. $1500, quite a bit less then we paid for our flat black Homestead (upon which we got a good deal..) 3 years ago. They needed the manny out of their house, (in six weeks they had had a handful of calls from CL browsers, all trying to tell them what a crap stove it was, but how they would take it off their hands for a couple hundred bucks..)

DAKSY said:
Highbeam said:
Good move. Lots of nice character on that stone. That 12" tile tells me that you are short on front clearance though...

Looks more like 16" tiles. The Manny is 29 inches deep,
so I'd say he's still got room to make some adjustment
backwards...

Nice "bracket"... tiles are 14".

Very nice. I think you are starting off on a beautiful friendship.

Nice deal. I like the looks of the stones, lots of nice veining and color.

Great find, that stone looks sweet!

Congratulations - you'll like her! Puts out some serious heat for a long time and a beautiful stove with an awesome view of the fire.......hmmmmmm......I sound a little biased! Also, crazy good price! Cheers!

Ok, she is up and running. Custom offset box works like a charm. It's exactly 16" from the hearth edge. Now I just have to find time to get my "heat shield" bent up so I can run the blower to keep the heat from just keeping the hole warm..lol

I actually have used rare earth magnets and some sheet to block the secondairies about halfway.. Our draft will slam the door from about 2" open.. 26' of triplle wall insulated chimney in a warm chase.. we have not had a good cold spell since I brought it home, but at 20-25F, a good load will still have the stove top at 250-300 12 hours later with air about 99% closed :).

Attachments

• php3qzdV2AM.jpg
    php3qzdV2AM.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 296
  • phpiFDl4AAM.jpg
    phpiFDl4AAM.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 267
  • phpZcKbPJAM.jpg
    phpZcKbPJAM.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 355
Congrats nice stove and install.

Status