Honda or Yamaha

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I vote Honda over any other brand. Better reliability and better resale. Look at how many ATC's are still running today that were made 50-60 years ago!

I have personally owned at least 14 different Honda dirt bikes, ATC's, ATV's and small engines over the years and only had one that Isort of regret buying (1984 ATC200X that I beat the crap out of at age 16).

I currently have an '07 Rubicon that is pretty bullet proof. It might not win any races but will never leave me stranded..

Eric

Nice forum name btw, arguably the best sports quad ever made. One might argue that the Banshee is better and on paper it certainly does have more HP, but the TRX250R chassis and steering design revolutionized the entire modern day ATV chassis design in both sports and utility ATV's that is still felt strongly to this day. The design of the chassis and how it handled compared to others in it's class at the time absolutely spanked its competition. As much of a Yammy fan as I am, Honda gets a big toot of the horn here.

Starting to "shop" marketplace for an upgrade atv for my son and I. Set on an older model (90s) 4x4 in the 300-350cc range. I am not new to atvs (have owned polaris, honda, yamaha and kawasaki). Staying in the 90s models because of the old reliability with them. My 2006 sportsman and 2006 foreman spent to much time being fixed. I know the Honda 300 4x4s are very popular and there are plenty of options on marketplace. Questioning the full time 4x4 and how hard it makes them to steer. My wife and 11 year old son will be driving it. He has zero issues with his 1988 trx125, but we will be selling that to buy bigger and drives a 250 2x4 just fine. There are a few yamaha wolverines for a slightly better price, in the same size range and can run in 2x4 also. Only other models I would be interested in are a kawasaki 300 4x4 but there are few of them or a king quad 300 with select 4x4.
Just looking for some input on these models. I know there are a few of them out there and this is definitely a forum where plenty of people own/use atvs. I don't want to be working on it all the time, but they should be simple enough and cheap enough to fix. I also have a guy that likes working on older models like this for cheap if it's something I can't handle. It will do a lot of joy riding and haul a little firewood. Thanks in advance.
I like Hondas, only because Im lax with maintenance sometimes and I dont want to have to fool with something constantly to get it working/keep it working. If I had the option to get fuel injected over a carb, I would any day but if I had to have something with a carb on it, if possible Id go for the Honda.

Regarding the 4x4 and steering, you will crab walk a bit if you turn too tight. That's a pita if you are in the woods trying to run through technical stuff. Im not a big fan of ATVs after one unexpected rolled over on me. I own a dirt bike and a dual sport now, and feel 900 times more nimble and safe. 2 wheels is just alot more fun.

Reactions: j7art2
In regards to individual machines, the 2 first factors that will determine if I am going to drive to look at one will be the condition of the plastics and how rusty the frame is.
I'm not overly concerned with cracks in the plastic. To me, that's a typical 1 time event that happens to most atvs. But, if the plastic is significantly faded, I feel that means the owner let it sit outside. If the frame is pretty rusty, to me at least, that's a sign that they let mud and water sit on it. If they took the time to wash it off and put effort into keeping it out of the weather, that can indicate they cared enough to maintain it in other ways. I know its and atv and they are for using, but it could still be taken care of.
After those 2, what are some things I should be looking at/ checking/ testing once I have the machine in front of me?

Reactions: duramaxman05
After those 2, what are some things I should be looking at/ checking/ testing once I have the machine in front of me?
Great question!
When I go to look at one I look at overall condition, which you mentioned, but many people miss things like looking inside the air box to see if it looks sealed, or if its full of dirt/mud, then at least you know it was for sure mudded, and probably not maintained the best. Even better, pop the air cleaner off and see if the intake tube is clean...poorly maintained/sealed air filters lead to a dirty intake tube, and a "dusted" top end $$. Yamaha had some real issues with this with their "drop in" air filter design used on many of their ATV's...is SOOO easy to not get it installed right and then it leaks at the front seal...I also grease the front foam seal for an extra layer of dust sucking protection.
Also, pull the dipstick to look at the oil, is it full, and clean, also smell it, it should not smell burnt, or gassy.
Now here is the big one, and almost nobody else does this, but it is eye opening in the things you will find.
Get the owners permission to stand the quad up...make sure the fuel is turned off (if it has a petcock) and put some cardboard or something down so that it doesn't scratch the rack or rear grab bar up, then get help to stand it up, some quads are pigs and might even need 2 other people to get it stood up. Once standing you can see how much mud is packed up in stuff, mud that is almost impossible to see any other way. It allows you to see if the frame is bent (more common than most people realize) and how scratched/dented up the frame and suspension components are on the bottom...cracked motor mounts too. It allows you to easily check steering and suspension joints too.
Also can check front drivetrain/Ujoint slop while its up too.
The last thing is while its up its easier to see the serial number stamped into the frame...make sure it matches the title (if it has one...older quads didn't I can't remember when that started...late 80s or early 90's IIRC)

And going back to drum brakes...if you don't regularly go "submarining" with the machine, or constantly mudding, I don't find drum brakes to be that problematic...disc are a decent upgrade though.

Last edited:
What I've seen though is that in slow speeds, such as going up small steep hills (and this would also apply to plowing or towing say a trailer with 800lbs of wood in it) that belts can slip and/or start to burn. I've seen belts slip and burn at slow speeds in hill climbs and towing out stuck friends in mud. Everyone's miles may vary of course, and I'm sure some brands are more prone to this than others.
One must not be dumb when using an ATV for work or at slow speeds. Never had a belt issue, but I don't abuse the belt. I know when to use low.

I don't baby mine either. Lots of time spent at WOT when used for pleasure and lots of time towing heavy loads when used for work.

Reactions: j7art2
Do the Honda 300s have drum or disc brakes? I hate working on drum brakes lol.
Hydraulic drum on the front and manual drum on the rear. The only problems I have had with the old 300's is the rear brakes seizing up, front brake cylinders stick and the upper steering bushing goes bad. Still not bad for some old 4wheelers

There was a place that had hydraulic disc conversions for the older hondas and also warn made the warn 424 I believe, when allow you to put it in to 2wd

I found a 1998 Fourtrax 300 FWD. I think I got a good price on it. Runs but needs a few things. I want to do a "user" restoration on it. Maybe paint anything that can be painted. Its has a Chinese aftermarket carb on it. Bought an OEM carbon eday and a rebuild kit. Going to have a guy that works on them rebuild it and tune it in for me.
Its the perfect machine for us. The boy can ride it around the yard and it does anything I need. Thanks for all the help.

I found a 1998 Fourtrax 300 FWD. I think I got a good price on it. Runs but needs a few things. I want to do a "user" restoration on it. Maybe paint anything that can be painted. Its has a Chinese aftermarket carb on it. Bought an OEM carbon eday and a rebuild kit. Going to have a guy that works on them rebuild it and tune it in for me.
Its the perfect machine for us. The boy can ride it around the yard and it does anything I need. Thanks for all the help.
Those 4wheelers set the standard for 4wheelers. Parts are still available for them oem and aftermarket. Some of the oem parts are pricy.

Just got it back last night from my mechanic. He rebuilt the OEM carb I bought on ebay, adjusted the valves (which were way off) and adjusted the shifting. It's like the thing is brand new. It ran with the valves out of whack and the cheap Chinese carb because it's a Honda and they just run. But now it's spot on. I have $2300 total in it right now. I honestly cannot see myself needing a 4 wheeler any different than this one. I have owned newer machines, both sport and utility and some of the new "advancements" and tech is nice, but it's expensive, especially when it breaks. I would tell anyone looking to need a quad to look for a good oldy.

adjusted the valves (which were way off)
That's unusual on the 300's...they usually hold pretty well...some DIY'r must have fouled up the last adjustment

That's unusual on the 300's...they usually hold pretty well...some DIY'r must have fouled up the last adjustment
That's exactly what my mechanic said. They were even off in the "wrong direction." He said they are usually to tight in these machines if anything. They were way lose.