Honey Locust, Thornless/ Scrounge Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iod0816

Jan 4, 2010
Someplace in WMass
How does it burn, start up and how well does it dry? Heard great things. More so on the drying. Is it like oak? With the grain split, it looks pretty similar in a rough sort of way. Seemed to be pretty wet stuff. Weighted less than my shagbark but still a ton but a different ton. Shag had the little water to dense feel, thus has more of a water feel to it. Split relatively easy.

Really pretty wood though! Stacked my Truck to the brim with the stuff today. Hopefully get to go back. Read the other topics but seemed to be off topic about honey locust. Tree was 35 plus at base but too hot to mess with the bigger stuff.

Glad I've got enough wood because I get to be a wood snob now! First year of scrounging and the most successful thing I've done is show the wife it works. ~16 cords of snob hardwood and counting!

Pics to come.

Thanks!

Pics add - ~4 cords hickory, 1 cord black birch, 2 of red maple, ~8 of sugar maple, 1 of butternut, .5 of red oak, .5 of cotton wood and now another cord of hickory/honey locust. I think that's enough... tho I'm now storing wood at the in-laws...

Attachments

• imagejpeg953.jpg
    imagejpeg953.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 317
  • imagejpeg951.jpg
    imagejpeg951.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 299
  • imagejpeg952.jpg
    imagejpeg952.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 297
Very dense,as good as any Hickory you'll find.Sometimes a bit stringy,can be stubborn to split at times.Well worth the effort.Dries a bit slower than the hickories,still quicker than Red or White Oak though.No difference in the wood in density,weight,strength,color,burning qualities etc compared to thorny honey locust found 'in the wild'

Yep, that's the good stuff. Throw it on the primo stack, unless primo is all you have you snob, and save it for January.

Pics please
Where in mass are you?

[quote author="iodonnell" date="1311912568"Tree was 35 plus at base[/quote]Wow, I don't know what the DBH is, but that would be one big Honeylocust...

It was huge. I threw on my 20" on the 7900 for speed and left the base alone. I only went with what I could pick up without splitting so I'd say 20" max from the eyes. I didn't think that they got that big. Downed in one of the storms we had rolling through here. You can see the rounds in the landscape view for more perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.