Honey Locust. Wow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Just burned some 4 year old Honey Locust for the first time. I posted about identifying it 4 years ago. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/black-walnut-firewood-or-is-it-worth-money.117692/#post-1580367

So I just got into it at the bottom of one of my stacks. I sort of forgot it was there. Even after seasoning for 4 years the splits felt like lead. 4 splits of this literally cooked me out of my house and the stove was running so hot it set off my Auber high temperature alert alarm that I have set to 650. This stuff is incredible and I have never seen wood coal like this and throw off so much heat. The total burn cycle was insanely long. I am going to put the rest on reserve for some subzero nights.

From the thread from 4 years ago.

Honey Locust. Wow!

My favorite wood to split & burn. Once dried this stuff rocks.

It's great stuff. The key is seasoning. I have a cord or so that's 5 years seasoned. I save it because it never breaks down. Don't mix it with Osage or your stove will be liquid in the morning.lol

I don't think it has quite the BTU of Black but it's not far behind from what I see in the charts. I've got a dead-stander at my buddy's house that I need to get. Looking forward to trying it, as the Black I've burned has been da bomb! :ZZZ

I have a cord left of Honey Locust and about a 1/2 cord of Black in reserve for the coldest of nights...good stuff!

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Just burned some 4 year old Honey Locust for the first time. I posted about identifying it 4 years ago. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/black-walnut-firewood-or-is-it-worth-money.117692/#post-1580367

So I just got into it at the bottom of one of my stacks. I sort of forgot it was there. Even after seasoning for 4 years the splits felt like lead. 4 splits of this literally cooked me out of my house and the stove was running so hot it set off my Auber high temperature alert alarm that I have set to 650. This stuff is incredible and I have never seen wood coal like this and throw off so much heat. The total burn cycle was insanely long. I am going to put the rest on reserve for some subzero nights.

From the thread from 4 years ago.

View attachment 217369

You sold me. And beautiful wood too. I'm gonna have to find some.

Great to hear. I have 1/5 a cord of honey and two cords BL waiting to be split. I split small and plan on using at least a cord in two years. Sounds like three or more may be better though.

Yeah, locust is insane. Dry locust burns like coal. I have some reserved for the coldest nights, as well.

Honey locust is very common and easy to get in my area. I have a couple face cords I'm trying to save until next season, another 1.5 or so to split ASAP, and a 60+ft one in my yard I wouldn't mind having dropped. I've only burned a few small splits but even those last forever. Oh and it smells awesome when split.

This is what i scooped up last week...

Honey Locust. Wow!

Reactions: Bmore and Lone_Gun
I find honey locust, black locust and Osage to have very similar burn characteristics. I will take all I can get of any of those 3. If your honey L has thorns - watch out for those suckers. Notorious for giving infections if you are poked. I had to go through a week of antibiotics when a poke to the wrist area swelled up to match the size of my upper arm.

I've scored two cords of honey locust this year, one of them just last weekend. 24" DBH. Heavy!! Gonna be great '20-'21

Save it for the cold nights. As stated earlier locust, black, honey or hedge all burn hot and long. Great firewoods enjoy it.