Hooking Up and OAK to a Magnum Baby CountrySide? - Flex to 3" stove flange? ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

When I hooked up the Selkirk 3" fresh air flex to the Hudson River WestPoint it just fit right on and the radiator clamp easily tightened down. Not so with the Baby CountrySide.

When I put the 3" Selkirk Fresh Air Metal Flex Pipe up to the Baby CountrySide's Fresh Air Intake pipe, the pipe was also 3" and the flex would not slide on it!

Here are a couple suggestions I got so far:
1. Grind off 1/32" of the outside of the stove flange so it will slide on!
2. Take the 3" flex to a muffler shop and have them flare out the end with their special tools!

Here is my own suggestion
Go to Pep Boys and purchase 2 Nickerson Industries auto exhaust adapter pipes:
1. 2-3/4" ID x 2-3/4" ID Connector Part # 17586
2. 2-1/2" ID x 2-1/2" ID Connector Part # 17513

Put the 2nd one in the stove flange and slide the 1st one over it and clamp the metal flex pipe on the 1st one. I can also bolt the 2 adapters above together with a self drilling screw and put RTV in the joint for a good seal. There is not a real need to silicone the 2nd adapter to the stove flange so it can be taken off for servicing the stove easily.

My Question is:
Has anyone done this? What flex pipe did you use? How was it done?
Thanks

See pics of muffler adapters below. Click to Enlarge:

Attachments

• ExhaustAdaptersSC.jpg
    ExhaustAdaptersSC.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 158
Hello

I tried the 3rd option, my own suggestion and it worked great! See Pic below!

Using RTV and self drilling screws I connected the two muffler adapters together for a nice strong tight seal, then I clamped the 3" Selkirk metal flex hose to the larger adapter for a nice tight fit. Then I slid the smaller adapter into the magnum stove flange and used foil tape to seal it real nice. Now to service the stove just undo the foil tape and the exhaust adapter just pulls right out! Simple and easy to install and use!

Click pic to enlarge:

Attachments

• ExhaustAdapeterInstalled on OAK FlangeSC.jpg
    ExhaustAdapeterInstalled on OAK FlangeSC.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 153
That's cause the intake is 3" and the hose is 3" you need hose that is 2 3/4" or flex that is 3 1/4", both which are going to be kinda hard to source out. Just another thing AES worked out in advance for the consumer.

Yes, A 3" Hose do not fit, well it is not the 3" inch hose!

I already solved the problem, see adapters above!

Status
Not open for further replies.