Hopper Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sadly, we now live in a society where various alphabet agencies spend enormous tax dollars for the entire focus of protecting your from yourself...

IOW, 'Stupid is as Stupid Does'....

Reminds me of a guy at work. He was one of our "technical service advisors". College educated. Saw him in our shop one day, arm in a sling and his hand heavily bandaged. Seems he was running his 2 stage snow blower and it plugged up. Yeah, that's right, he reached into it to unplug it. And yes it was still running, auger engaged! Takes all kinds!

Like a guy I work with, he’s in technical sales. He said he wanted to check a noise on his car so he jacked up one wheel, started it and put it in gear, and got down and grabbed the rotating drive axle. He came in to work with a sling and bandage and his hand about twice the size of normal. He joked all day saying “man some people shouldn’t work on cars “.

My Dads Favorite saying " Some Mothers do Have EM"

Reactions: Ssyko
Extensions do work. Had one on my first corn stove I purchased years ago. Added 3/4 of a bushel of corn and that made it last a day and half. It is worth doing. Then i got lazy and my next (current) stove was decked out. Added a 25 bushel bin on the front porch that feeds directly into the hopper. Depending on the weather it can be weeks before I have to refill bin.

Mine has a door switch that stops the auger when it’s open. But I disabled it because half the time the fire would go out if I didn’t load a bag fast enough. The auger is so far down that I couldn’t put my finger in it by accident. Besides it’s just me here, or anyone else who has common sense. If I really had to dig into the auger and the stove was plugged in, I’d use a stick of some sort. Treat it like a food grinder.
I've had the fire appear to go out, but as soon as I shut the door and that air starts being pulled through the burn pot holes, it comes right back in a few seconds. The heat is still there, the embers, only thing is the combustion air quits getting drawn through the fire. I'll usually press off button to just stop the auger over feeding the burn pot that isn't getting air to burn it, yet the combustion fan keeps running because the stove senses heat. If I leave the stove on and take too long, the auger will flood the burn pot like it thinks it needs to to keep the heat up, but there's no air drawn through because the door is opened.

In fact, I can turn the stove off, which means no auger running and no combustion air being pulled through the burn pot holes, let it sit an hour, turn it back on and in a couple minutes I'll have a fire.