1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hopper Extension

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Shaw520, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Thinking about putting one on my 25-P,... we already know the pros,... are there any cons ??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    the thing about hopper extensions is this. first it voids the UL listing but then so does cutting the tag off a mattress.

the hopper is designed to be sealed up as airtight as possible while stove is in operation, an extension if not built properly to do this could result in smokeback during power outage situations. we at ESW do not recommend any aftermarket hoper extensions and we do not produce any for our products.
  3. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Thank you Mike,..Yes I did read all the pre-cautions / voids regarding the extension/modification,.. I have tons of natural draft because im tapped into an existing masonry chimney,.. Ive never had smoke during any situation, (power outage, running out of fuel, ect). But I heed your warnings...thank you.
    The extensions they sell on ebay seem to come well equipped with gaskets ect.
  4. smoke show

smoke show Guest

I have one, its great.
  5. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
  6. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    never said they wouldnt work, havent tried em. as for the harman extensions, they woulld have had to have the units they are installed on to (models they make it available for) tested with the extensions installed. this is doable and does not then void the listing as it is an authorized tested addition. the home made ones or the one on ebay (which is essentially a homemade one) have not been tested with the unit for UL compliance so they cannot be legaly installed onto the stove without voiding the entire listing. not our rule, but the UL's rule.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
  8. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    fill the hopper, cut the top off a bag, flip bag onto full hopper and there you go. Should work, right?

Eric
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

How come I didn't think of that. :mad:
    kinsmanstoves and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I love it when a good Darwin is proposed, keep'em coming I'll just sit here at a safe distance and watch.
    kinsmanstoves and jtakeman like this.
  11. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
    I can't believe someone did that, and to top that off, he's always trying to give advice.

Tom C.
    DexterDay likes this.
  12. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    No cons, just make sure it's sealed up, guy on eBay has em, turns a 40 lb hopper into a 100lb. Saves you back from loading your stove twice a day. Love it.
  13. imacman

imacman Guest

Don't get some of us started on THAT......:rolleyes:
    DexterDay likes this.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

!!! ;)
  15. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    You still have to fill the with the pellets you are just doing it all at once but you are lifting the same. Keep the safety and the ul listing and fill 1 bag in
    morning and again at night.again you are still lifting 2 bags