Hopper lid gets hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bellapoopy

Oct 9, 2023
Perth Ontario
I have a Whitfield pellet stove. Just did it’s yearly cleaning. But I notice the hopper lid gets pretty hot. So I checked in the hopper and the pellets feel hot too. I realize it sits above the firebox so it will feel some heat but my question is how hot is too hot? Just a little concerned . I’m older now so checked versus did not check how hot it has been previous years. Thanks in advance.

I have a Whitfield Quest and I find the pellets in the hopper get warm. The lid is warm to the touch. I can’t give you a temperature, I have checked it. But I can say I don’t have any trouble holding my hand there.

You do gave the fire bricks in place and in good condition? Also on my stove there is a metal baffle right below the air vents/tubes. The heat will deform this heavy metal baffle and it may need to be replaced.

Rick

Reactions: clancey
Thank you very much Rick for your response. I definitely feel better knowing you also experience this warmth/heat. I can hold my hand on top but its definitely more hot than warm. My fire bricks are in good condition and my metal baffle looks good too. But I'll definitely check out possibly getting new firebrick and a new metal baffle just to keep it in as good a working order as possible. Appreciate your reply.

Reactions: clancey