Horizontal clearance problem.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Friend of mine has a 16 inch horizontal run of single wall pipe to the thimble. The pipe is 15 inch's from exposed floor joists. Other than going to double wall pipe would 5/8" durock on the ceiling solve this issue? Thanks.

I don't think double-wall would do it either ("solve this issue" to code,) especially when the combustible is above a horizontal pipe. I thought vertical dw needed 16" but I could be wrong. If he's not bringing it up to code, maybe the Durock with spacers between it and the joists?

Duravent DVL Stove pipe has an 8" ceiling clearance requirement. Might work for him it sounds like. 6" for walls.

Duravent DVL Stove pipe has an 8" ceiling clearance requirement. Might work for him it sounds like. 6" for walls.
OK, the 16/18" ceiling is for single wall. ;em
Butcher, I think the NFPA code 211 has a section on clearance reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.