Horizontal vent for corner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LongRangr

Dec 23, 2010
N Arkansas
If a stove in a corner install is vented out the back, thru a 45, then more horizontal thru wall to a tee, then up thru chaise outside the house--is this going to be a pain when lighting a fire in a cold stove compared with just going straight up from the top of the stove?

Depends . . . in my own case which you pretty much described -- corner install, I am vented up the top but there is a 45 out through the wall to a T and then up -- this not an issue normally. The only time I have some issues is in the early Fall and late Spring when the temps inside and outside are pretty close to each other . . . for me the solution is pretty easy . . . I just open the nearby window a crack until the fire gets going and establishes a draft.

Depends on how much exterior pipe is attached. Keep the horiz. short and hook it up to 16+ feet of pipe and it should vent ok, depending on the stove. This is just generic info, the actual exterior length may need to be taller to meet code. If so, all the better. Still, heading straight up in the interior would vent better, look better and probably would be less expensive.

LongRangr said:
If a stove in a corner install is vented out the back, thru a 45, then more horizontal thru wall to a tee, then up thru chaise outside the house--is this going to be a pain when lighting a fire in a cold stove compared with just going straight up from the top of the stove?

Whether it will be a pain depends on your individual install.

As you know, a flue responds to heat sooner if there is a vertical run at the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.