Horrendous wood score.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's why I find it a little aggravating that a site staff member would imply they are breaking laws. Its unfounded and inappropriate in my opinion. Have a good day.
I didn't say they were I questioned whether the people asking the firewood after the fact were. And the op who is a law enforcement officer clearly started he didn't know and didn't seem to care.

I am sorry if it offends people but it makes me sick when I go out in the woods here now. All the ash is dead most of the hemlock is dead and as people who rely on that wood for our heat we should all do what we can to protect it.

I didn't say they were I questioned whether the people asking the firewood after the fact were. And the op who is a law enforcement officer clearly started he didn't know and didn't seem to care.

I am sorry if it offends people but it makes me sick when I go out in the woods here now. All the ash is dead most of the hemlock is dead and as people who rely on that wood for our heat we should all do what we can to protect it.
Thank you for trying to save the world,seems like you've had a problem with me since i posted a few toys i have access to due to my successful son in law.Time to let it go if you feel laws are being broken i'll happily give you all you need to conduct an investigation since you're so upset. No one posting here is responsible for dying trees by pests that arrived as stowaways. Now since you know the law so well,please post it for all Ohioans to read . No laws were broken and no pests harmed in this endeavor of mine,if you can prove otherwise go for it,and quit your non sense rambling.PS stay out of the woods if it makes you sick,better than 75% of my ash trees are still thriving. All 10 acres .

Thank you for trying to save the world,seems like you've had a problem with me since i posted a few toys i have access to due to my successful son in law.Time to let it go if you feel laws are being broken i'll happily give you all you need to conduct an investigation since you're so upset. No one posting here is responsible for dying trees by pests that arrived as stowaways. Now since you know the law so well,please post it for all Ohioans to read . No laws were broken and no pests harmed in this endeavor of mine,if you can prove otherwise go for it,and quit your non sense rambling.PS stay out of the woods if it makes you sick,better than 75% of my ash trees are still thriving. All 10 acres .
I didn't say they were being broken I questioned if they were and posted a link containing the info and links to state laws. Just as I do when anyone is talking about transporting firewood any distance. It has nothing at all to do with who you are.

I didn't say they were being broken I questioned if they were and posted a link containing the info and links to state laws. Just as I do when anyone is talking about transporting firewood any distance. It has nothing at all to do with who you are.

Fair enough ,now lets get on with enjoying this forum,after all we all have something in common,all is well that ends well.
;)

Reactions: StudlyHogly
It doesn't have to be ash did you read the link? You also have Asian longhorn beetle and thousand cankers in Ohio they are trying to contain.

But 20 mins isn't bad how long did it travel to get to that yard though?

So 20 minutes isn't bad? Is that based on your opinion? Expertise as an Arborist? State law?or a sweep? Here is the state law in part:

"All of Ohio is in the federal quarantine zone for emerald ash borer, which means that the movement of hardwood firewood and wood products is under regulation and prohibited in most, but not all, circumstances.

We just had the EAB run through Michigan in the last 10 - 12 years or so, there is no escaping it, except for a Michigan State University Arborist that has treated specific trees with a chemical drench/injection of Bifenthrin every spring and fall. Ever other Ash tree is dead. Try as you might, flying insects that feed on certain trees cannot be stopped. Now, in Michigan we have Oak Wilt. It's caused by pruning Oaks in the summer months. There's always something killing something. Right now our Ash trees are growing back, I planted one in the back yard and treat it with Bifenthrin, we'll see how that turns out. If people can't move firewood15-20 minutes, I hope you are close to retirement.

So 20 minutes isn't bad? Is that based on your opinion? Expertise as an Arborist? State law?or a sweep? Here is the state law in part:

"All of Ohio is in the federal quarantine zone for emerald ash borer, which means that the movement of hardwood firewood and wood products is under regulation and prohibited in most, but not all, circumstances.

We just had the EAB run through Michigan in the last 10 - 12 years or so, there is no escaping it, except for a Michigan State University Arborist that has treated specific trees with a chemical drench/injection of Bifenthrin every spring and fall. Ever other Ash tree is dead. Try as you might, flying insects that feed on certain trees cannot be stopped. Now, in Michigan we have Oak Wilt. It's caused by pruning Oaks in the summer months. There's always something killing something. Right now our Ash trees are growing back, I planted one in the back yard and treat it with Bifenthrin, we'll see how that turns out. If people can't move firewood15-20 minutes, I hope you are close to retirement.
That is based on my opinion based on the fact that 20 mins is easily within many quarantine areas. But it really isn't about time driving it is about staying within quarantine areas.

And yes there have been plenty of invasives have been contained and eradicated. I agree the eab is a lost cause at this point. But there are many other things they are trying to contain.

Looks like you and your buddy will have some fun there. Keep updates with the progress if possible.

Looks like you and your buddy will have some fun there. Keep updates with the progress if possible.
You know i will but it'll be awhile,we've got several of his employees who will do the real hard work,they will get their union pay ,plus a share of the wood.

Reactions: heavy hammer
The thing about the quarantine laws is that they often go by county...which works great...everybody knows bugs never cross the county line!
In my county I am in the NE part...if I travel to the SW corner its the better part of an hour drive...so still legal as far as the quarantine goes...put if I go 10 minutes north to the next county, I just broke the law...makes sense to me :rolleyes:

Ohlongarm sounds good. In my brick laying days we used to lay block all day then on the sights where we had permission we would cut firewood from the log piles from all the developments being put in. Not to many land clearing company's leave the wood any more to much of a value to them.

The thing about the quarantine laws is that they often go by county...which works great...everybody knows bugs never cross the county line!
In my county I am in the NE part...if I travel to the SW corner its the better part of an hour drive...so still legal as far as the quarantine goes...put if I go 10 minutes north to the next county, I just broke the law...makes sense to me :rolleyes:
Is that how it works in Ohio? In PA when we are quarantined you can't cross country lines but they also have specific quarantine areas you can't transport out of or through

Is that how it works in Ohio? In PA when we are quarantined you can't cross country lines but they also have specific quarantine areas you can't transport out of or through
I never looked into it further, but since they had the signs warning about transporting firewood at the county lines, I just assumed...EAB is pretty much all through NE OH now...the state must have given up, the signs came down a year or so ago...they were only up 2 years, or less.

I never looked into it further, but since they had the signs warning about transporting firewood at the county lines, I just assumed...EAB is pretty much all through NE OH now...the state must have given up, the signs came down a year or so ago...they were only up 2 years, or less.
As mentioned earlier it isn't just about eab

Eab must be working its way here. Local news in springfield had a segment about the city utilities having to cut a bunch of ash trees on right of ways and were informing people who had dead ash trees in town to take it to city dump to burn. My understanding is they didn't want it transported far but never said anythibg about a true and defined limit. I'm not sure there is much of a law in missouri other than taking or bringing wood over statelines that i know of. I'm sure in years to come it will become more defined and strict if the eab gets worse....which sadly i think it will.

I believe the law is not being enforced ,i cover two major intersections in the course of my patrol in eight hours and if i'm sitting on any interstate for an hour or more i've seen literally dozens of vehicles transporting firewood. All my transporting now over is well within my county,recent haul was just seven miles from the tree service.

White Ash here have started to decline here within the last couple years..SW IN.
I hunted in Adams county Fri,and Sat,saw almost 90% ash trees with no borer,they're way behind northern Ohio as far as leaf loss. PS,The coyotes don't like me down there.

I'm sitting out here in Idaho surrounded by nothing but cottonwood and pine, and then you show me this score and call it horrendous. I would call that a Hallelujah score myself. I'm coveting thy goods.

So the heightened talk about quarantine in PA is about EAB but also recently the lantern fly, lots of info being tossed to the public at the moment with this newer bug, since my company does a lot of work from Ohio to NJ, we've all had to have training on the dangers of the bug and transporting it to unaffected area's.
BTW - jealous of the wood score!!! keep on splitting lol.

Reactions: heavy hammer