Horse Flame Model 517 HF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swatcommander

Apr 1, 2015
Indianapolis
Hello, I am looking for any info on the Horse Flame Model 517 HF (wood stove). I located a pdf of the owners manual on line but it only gave specs like, BTU, and weight of the stove and not much else.

It would be great if some one could respond that owned one. I would like to know burn times and how please or disapointed they were and why, etc.

I am seriously thinking of buy this stove from a friend. I currently have a VC Intreped II. I like the stove but we need one just a little bit bigger. I want to get away from the catalytic stoves as well.

We live a newer built house that is well insulated. The VC kept our house nice and warm but burn times were shorter than what I wanted.

Thanks for reading and for any info that is posted in response to my question.

Had to go looking as I don't think I've seen that brand before ... made in the UK so likely not very common in the US. Does it have UL tag on the back? Is there a UK version of equivalent testing? Insurance company may not cover if installed. Something that you may want to check into...

Keep us posted!

I will keep you posted, and check with insurance as well. A pic of the rear of the stove.

Attachments

• IMG_38141.jpg
    IMG_38141.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 296
Omni-Test Labs tag should keep you out of trouble with home owners. Good luck with finding info on the real life experience with it.

What kind of price tag are on those stoves ... New? Used?

Edit: Not sure if this makes a difference ... Michigan distributor (only one I found for US), no longer carries this stove so not sure on parts availability. Would be wondering if there is a reason it is no longer available?

Last edited:
Reactions: swatcommander
The newer models from new $699-2000. I can't say for a used one. The one I am looking at is $85.00. I paid $25.00 for my VC. You can see before and after pics on my older post.

Reactions: swatcommander
Status
Not open for further replies.