Hot Blast 1557 in series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffcmckinney

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
I'm fairly new to posting, but have been reading topics for a while. First of all I would like to say thank you to everybody on the forum. I installed a Hot Blast 1557 last year in parallel, it worked but not as well as I wanted. Last night I finished the install of in series. What a difference!!!. The only issue right now is the blower on the propane furnace didn't seem to shut want to shut off. This is probally a dumb question but if I bump up the blower speed it would cool the fire box faster and let the blower rest right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are actually better off letting the blower run longer at a lower speed. It actually uses more energy at startup than running on a lower speed. You get less draft and warmer temps coming out of the registers and it is also harder on the motor when it has to start from zero speed. Hope that helps. Do you have any pics of it installed in series. I'd like to see how you did that.

I'll try to get some pictures and post them. I was talking to a few people at work and they suggested using a fan limit switch instead of the thermodisc.

1557 fans are limited I run them at full blast most the time or until its to hot in the house and just back off of them

Warmer temps from a register doesn't mean better efficiency. I ran our old 1500 in series, and it was like you said a night and day difference. I had a limit control wired to control the blower on the central furnace. We were pushing 1200+ cfms through our furnace, and the blower never kicked on and off. We just set the limit control to 140 on, and 90 off. Running a higher speed will produce cooler air, but a more even heat in the home. We had a thermometer over the loading door, and kept it around 400 for some nice heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.