HOT cleanout??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Some of you veteran "heaters-with-wood" please advise how you clean out a Fireview that has tons of ash that you need to remove, but still has hot coals in it. I tried to do that yesterday and all I got was a lot of ash on all the nearby flat surfaces that I had to clean up. I have a metal 10-gallon can (goes with my 10-gallon hat! :lol: ) with a close fitting lid, to use, but the heat flies ash everywhere. Anybody got some tips--other than waiting for the coals to die out? That could take a week!

Thanks--

Do you have a rake for your coals? You can buy them but most of us make them. Do a search to see some that have been done before. Push all the hot coals to the back of the stove, leaving the ash at the front (thus the rake - lets the ash be and only moves the larger coals). To keep the ash in place I have 2 hints: 1) have the primary air open so that you have max draft 2) GO S L O W - really slow.

I usually remove my ashes either in the morning, before restarting the fire or late afternoon as the fire often dies out a bit while I am outside during the day.

Ash rake, draft open, go slow.

good luck,

'bert

’bert said:
Do you have a rake for your coals? You can buy them but most of us make them. Do a search to see some that have been done before. Push all the hot coals to the back of the stove, leaving the ash at the front (thus the rake - lets the ash be and only moves the larger coals). To keep the ash in place I have 2 hints: 1) have the primary air open so that you have max draft 2) GO S L O W - really slow.

I usually remove my ashes either in the morning, before restarting the fire or late afternoon as the fire often dies out a bit while I am outside during the day.

good luck,

'bert

Okay, I'll do a search for ash rakes. It sure is a pain to have to clean up those ashes from everything!

BTW, just curious, but where are you? Your signature says you're "East of the ROOKIES, West of the Rest". Where might that be?

Ditto for the most part here, I burn them up as much as possible and then use a long poker to slide along the top (since we have to come in from the side) pushing the coals to the back, shovel out the front and then push the coals to the front and shovel out the back. For a Fireview, the rake won't work as you have to come in from the side. You are still going to lose a lot of coals but that is just the way it is.

As far as dumping the ash, tip the can and let the ashes slowly slide off your shovel. You'll still get some flying ash but much less this way.

Texas boy said:
’bert said:

good luck,

'bert

Okay, I'll do a search for ash rakes. It sure is a pain to have to clean up those ashes from everything!

BTW, just curious, but where are you? Your signature says you're "East of the ROOKIES, West of the Rest". Where might that be?

must be a 'Hurtin Albertian'

-corb lund band

Texas boy said:
Some of you veteran "heaters-with-wood" please advise how you clean out a Fireview that has tons of ash that you need to remove, but still has hot coals in it. I tried to do that yesterday and all I got was a lot of ash on all the nearby flat surfaces that I had to clean up. I have a metal 10-gallon can (goes with my 10-gallon hat! :lol: ) with a close fitting lid, to use, but the heat flies ash everywhere. Anybody got some tips--other than waiting for the coals to die out? That could take a week!

Thanks--

My solution was to install a second Fireview! Let one go cold for cleaning while the others heating full steam. Course I'm in Minnesota where we get -20F for a week and a half staight and I need both running...

Rookies 'bert has it backwards. Shove everything to the back and then rake the coals forward, leaving the ashes at the back of the stove. Open a window in the room to aid the draft up the flue. Set the ash pail as close as you can to the stove and lower the shovel into the pail, don't dump it in. You may have to tilt the pail so the ashes don't pour off the shovel. Any ash that does fly should get sucked back into the stove by the draft.

3fordasho said:
My solution was to install a second Fireview! Let one go cold for cleaning while the others heating full steam. Course I'm in Minnesota where we get -20F for a week and a half staight and I need both running...

I pick up my Fireview on Saturday. If it works out (gives off the heat I expect) I could see a second on in my future to replace the Vigilant.

Not sure why LLigetfa wants to work over top of hot coals but I am sure his way works too. May be another minute of his insanity that he is enjoying. ;-)

If you use my way, be sure to bring the coals back to front for the restart. I am sure you have already figured that part out.

’bert said:
Not sure why LLigetfa wants to work over top of hot coals..
The handle of the ash shovel is made of iron so it can take the heat. The shovel tends to well... "shove" the ashes to the back so it would mix with the coals your way. My way, I can shove them right up against the fire brick and it has no where else to go.

Buy the ash bucket from Woodstock, it fits right under the door and all that fly ash gets sucked right back into the stove by the draft.

http://store.woodstove.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16280&cat=298&page=1

Until then use an old wet towel over your other bucket and lower the shovel down to the bottom while trying to cover the top with towel, it will suck up the ash.

I keep seeing these threads on the ash dumping but it is still one of the simplest things to do compared to every thing else about wood burning.

I started having to dump ashes from the stove when I was about 6 years old so I have done it a few times. Long before I turned 7 I learned how to remove and dump ashes and it had nothing to do with the bucket I used to put ashes in, the size or type of shovel used, the draft of the stove pulling dust back into the stove or even covering the ash bucket. (It did have to do with getting my butt kicked for getting dust all over and after getting whipped, I still had to clean all the dust off places that dust didn't even get too!)

Very simple thing: If you think you have to handle eggs very careful, you still have to learn to be even more careful with ashes. Simply put, never overfill the shovel with ashes. Move the shovel very, very slowly from the firebox and towards the bucket where the ashes will go. Now, do not dump those ashes even when you get the shovel into that ash bucket. Very gently sit the shovel on the bottom of the bucket and then lifting the handle slightly, very slowly slide the shovel from under the ashes. Never let the ashes slide off the shovel! Now before some hit me on that statement as playing with words, I assure you there is a big difference. The shovel comes off the ash rather than the ash coming off the shovel.

This is sort of the same thing when I am carving leather. I rubber cement a light piece of illustration board on the back of the leather before I begin. When finished that board has to be removed. Very important here that the board is removed from the leather rather than removing the leather from the board. There is a difference and it makes a huge difference in the finished project.

Handle with kid gloves!

Backwoods Savage said:
I keep seeing these threads on the ash dumping but it is still one of the simplest things to do compared to every thing else about wood burning.

I started having to dump ashes from the stove when I was about 6 years old so I have done it a few times. Long before I turned 7 I learned how to remove and dump ashes and it had nothing to do with the bucket I used to put ashes in, the size or type of shovel used, the draft of the stove pulling dust back into the stove or even covering the ash bucket. (It did have to do with getting my butt kicked for getting dust all over and after getting whipped, I still had to clean all the dust off places that dust didn't even get too!)

Very simple thing: If you think you have to handle eggs very careful, you still have to learn to be even more careful with ashes. Simply put, never overfill the shovel with ashes. Move the shovel very, very slowly from the firebox and towards the bucket where the ashes will go. Now, do not dump those ashes even when you get the shovel into that ash bucket. Very gently sit the shovel on the bottom of the bucket and then lifting the handle slightly, very slowly slide the shovel from under the ashes. Never let the ashes slide off the shovel! Now before some hit me on that statement as playing with words, I assure you there is a big difference. The shovel comes off the ash rather than the ash coming off the shovel.

This is sort of the same thing when I am carving leather. I rubber cement a light piece of illustration board on the back of the leather before I begin. When finished that board has to be removed. Very important here that the board is removed from the leather rather than removing the leather from the board. There is a difference and it makes a huge difference in the finished project.

Handle with kid gloves!

Understand the procedure and details perfectly, since that's what I was doing. I could not avoid picking up some coals and the intense heat was causing thermals which, of course, carried the ash with it, right past the open door to my stove, which, btw, has killer draw! (A lighted FP match held anywhere near the door will be put out from the force of the draw!) When I had the Squire insert in another home in Austin, the coals would not stay live for a WEEK, like they do in the FireView, and I could clean the thing out without ash going anywhere, much less everywhere.

Looks like Plan B will be implemented, 'cause I've ordered a 20' hose for my shop vac. The plan is to put the vac out on the patio, run the hose in the door all the way to the stove and have the hose at the edge of the ash can as I scoop the ashes out. That should sweep the ashes out of the rising heated air and out th' door! I'll report how well that does, or does not, work out!

3fordasho said:
Texas boy said:

Thanks--

Tim--How far from Northfield are you? One of my closest friends is from there and his family still lives there.

Texas boy said:
...carried the ash with it, right past the open door to my stove, which, btw, has killer draw!...

have the hose at the edge of the ash can as I scoop the ashes out.
So, you're pinning your hopes on the shopvac having more draw than the stove? Must be one killer shopvac!

Texas boy said:
3fordasho said:
Texas boy said:

Thanks--

Tim--How far from Northfield are you? One of my closest friends is from there and his family still lives there.

I'm in Mankato, about 60miles west and and a bit south from Northfield.

LLigetfa said:
Texas boy said:
...carried the ash with it, right past the open door to my stove, which, btw, has killer draw!...

have the hose at the edge of the ash can as I scoop the ashes out.
So, you're pinning your hopes on the shopvac having more draw than the stove? Must be one killer shopvac!

Yep, for two reasons: 1-once outside the stove door a couple of inches, the draft really falls to nothing and 2-I have a hood that I bought to collect the sawdust from my radial arm saw that I will fit right against the top of the ash can. It's about 12" by 18" and will give plenty of room to operate the shovel. I'll just have to be careful not to get it too close to the hose connection or it will suck up the ashes. Shouldn't be a problem, since the hood is about 10" deep. Anyway, that's the plan (and I'm stickin' to it!). :)

Are you sure you have to go to that extreme? I would also be concerned that the shop vac might suck up a hot ember. that fine white dust can also be used for leaving messages for other family members - texting is all the rage you know.

LLigetfa said:
Rookies 'bert has it backwards. Shove everything to the back and then rake the coals forward, leaving the ashes at the back of the stove. Open a window in the room to aid the draft up the flue. Set the ash pail as close as you can to the stove and lower the shovel into the pail, don't dump it in. You may have to tilt the pail so the ashes don't pour off the shovel. Any ash that does fly should get sucked back into the stove by the draft.

+1. I have a two door stove, so I close one side and shovel from the other. Gloves are a must, and I hold the can as close to the door as possible. No ash in the room. I am not all that worried about getting the odd chunk of hot coals - it's not gold folks, just half burnt carbon. When I did care about the coals, I would swirl the can around after cleaning (outside, after it cooled, with the lid on) and the coals would rise up, and I would shovel 'em back in the stove.

Therapy has gotten me over that now.... once cooled, it all goes in the composter, or the driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.