1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hot Water (Heaters)

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by CAPBOY, Mar 23, 2013.

1. CAPBOY

CAPBOY New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    I heat my water with Oil
    About a gallon a day and yes it is pricy to get hot water
  3. CAPBOY

CAPBOY New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Separate HWH from the boiler?
  4. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    It is a boiler system with an indirect fire holding tank
  5. CAPBOY

CAPBOY New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I'm doubling your consumption. Granted, I use it to heat the house up on Sundays when we're returning from VT/Skiing. But it's only for a few hours, 4 days a week.
  6. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    Do you know the firing rate of your boiler (Nozzle size or gallons per hour) Mine is .75 gallons per running hour
    Two to three showers per day and the dish washer three times per week Only about an hour of baseboard heat from December till now baseboard
  7. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    You got me thinking now
    I am going to start another thread to try to get some HVAC techs to chime in
  8. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Still using oil for hot water. Just got a 100 gallons last week. But that will take us through till November, I hope.
  9. CAPBOY

CAPBOY New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I don't know the firing rate. I'd imagine that there's a bit of a relationship between that, the size of the boiler, and the size of the house? But I guess what you're saying is that it can be adjusted.
  10. doingitonadime

doingitonadime New Member

Loc:
    shelton,ct
    Ii use a oil fired hot water heater and going on my second year same tank
  11. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    So my other thread was flagged out so your best bet is to ask your service man the nozzle size and that will give you the gallons per running hour witch is your firing rate. If you have a large house your burner is firing a larger rate to give you more BTU`s I will try to find out more but your service man should know
  12. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I shut my boiler down and switched to electric. Costs me about $30/month at most.
  13. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Me too.
  14. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    What would be the cost of the switch over on average? I could do the plumbing and most of the electric work
  15. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I got the least expensive GE tank at Home Depot. Maybe it was 250 or so.
  16. smoke show

smoke show Guest

I think the problem with electric is the recovery time if you have high hot water consumption(I do).

If you don't then disregard above statement.
  17. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    I have a hot water maker ...zone 6 off my boiler. and an electric hot water heater. Last year and the beginning of this year(before my pellet boiler came on line) I found it cheaper to use my electric HW over my oil boiler.(I have a device on my oil boiler that tracks hours of use...(hours X GPH @ nozzle presure* = oil used)) At this point I use my hot water maker because pellets are cheaper. when I stop heating my house, I will shut down both boilers(pellet and cold start oil boiler) and turn a couple of ball valves and turn on electric HW heater. for those who say "if you turn off your oil boilet it will leak" ...It might...but if it does there are ways to deal with that too (another thread...as to not hyjack)

not my experence...we can hardly tell the difference....must be when I shut down my boiler (6 zone pumps...not zone valves) the electric used must offset each other.. also quality electric HW heater....BTW....wife is clean freak so we use a LOT of HW..._g

*Oil nozzles are rated @ 100 PSI...most newer burners operate @ 140+ psi...SOoo...a .75 will flow .75 or 3/4 gallon per hour at 100 PSI...relying on my memory....89 gallons at 140 PSI
  18. johnny1720

johnny1720 Member

Loc:
    The Great North East
    I have had a propane fired tankless hotwater heater for 5 years. I live in WNY and it is cold for 5 months of the year. It was costing me about $35.00 per month to heat the hot water with this setup. I recently connected my Geothermal Heating System to storage tank (it preheats the water to about 120) now my propane use is much lower. Prior to the tankless I had an electric water heater, It was old when it died. My electric bill went down $70.00 per month when I switched to the tankless. We use a bunch of hot water, two adults and two small children. We run the dishwasher at least one time per day and the laundry machine always runs as well.
    smoke show likes this.