Hot water recycle time question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugzapper

Sep 15, 2009
Northern MinneSnowta
I'm sure I'll find out soon enough, but I have a question about recycling time. I have a Central Boiler with 185 gallon tank. With their DHW heat exchanger and 180' water, how long should I figure to heat up a 40 gal primary and a 30 gal. tempering tank with boiler water at 180'? It seems slower than I had hoped. Definately slower than the LP.
Will it help to insulate the exchanger? Do you folks insulate the boiler runs inside the house?

JB

My boiler lines are insulated everywhere they go. There is an insulated sidearm heat exchanger on the side of my dhw propane water heater. I use a tempering valve to prevent scorching but I usually have usable hot water in an hour and a half. It's not as fast as propane but it is much less expensive and worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.