Hot water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
my brothers furnace just went.. he used oil ( hot water baseboard ). i am trying to convince him to switch to wood... is there anyway to have the wood stove heat the hot water baseboard to get the far reaches of the house ???

There are some wood stoves that have water heating units and others that have add-ons. More likely he should look at an outdoor wood furnace/boiler, they can be hooked up to existing hot water baseboard systems. You will still need electricity (one drawback) to operate the unit and the pump to circulate the hot water but I know people with these units that love them. I personally prefer having an actual stove in my home but.....

Thank u for the response My forced hot air stays at 67 and my earthstove keeps us at 75 I love wood heat

A wood boilier! Many makes and models out there!

Occo370 said:
my brothers furnace just went.. he used oil ( hot water baseboard ). i am trying to convince him to switch to wood... is there anyway to have the wood stove heat the hot water baseboard to get the far reaches of the house ???

Just a woodstove with a hook-up . . . no . . . well none that really seem to work especially well.

Indoor wood boiler or outdoor wood boiler . . . yes . . . if he had the space, the wood and the inclination I would go with a high efficiency indoor wood boiler myself vs. the outdoor wood boiler . . . in fact I almost went that route myself.

Of course option 3 or 4 or whatever option we're up to is to replace the oil boiler with an inexpensive unit . . . and also buy a woodstove for the ambiance and for use when the power goes out.

There are some that have electrical/gas/oil backup also. Of course, that adds to the cost...

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.