hotter up when stove off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
ok, help me out here. ( i must be tired) I understand the logic of heat rises. However, I put a thermometer up stairs just to see the different in temps with the diffferent air moving options I try. I can have it 80 °F down stairs and only about 69 or 70 upstairs. Today, I haven't really ran the stoves and my temps downstairs was 64 and temp upstairs 74. What sense does this make. I know without knowing the layout of my house, this maybe difficult to determine. The attic is right above the room I have the thermometer in if that says anything.

smoke show said:
solar gain?

That's what I'm thinking too. Yesterday the sun was shining and my upstairs was 73*. Same exact everything(outside temp, stove temp, wind) today except it's cloudy. Temp today upstairs is 68*. It was actually a bit milder outside today. mid 40's.

smoke show said:
solar gain?

X2. We get so much, that the stove gets shut down during the day (as long as its above 35*) and the house is still only 67* when I get home at 4:30. The Sun is an amazing tool, that you can use to your advantage (if your home is set-up to receive any). Our house faces the South and has 7 windows on the front. All blinds are set to be open in the Winter, to allow as much Solar as possible. Also utilize the plastic film window kits (have new windows also - still helps a lot)

ditto. i'm thrilled we have really good southern facing windows. makes shutting down for the daily cleaning really doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.